Dunlop SP Sport Maxx - honest opinions??

PTR_NITRO_FG

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 3d

Quick and short thread for anyone with actual real world experience with this tyre. 

Very mixed reviews online....some say good in wet/dry then others say terrible (think they got the nickname on here as dunflops).

They are 245/40/18....and wanna know if there is any positive reviews? Obviously I am buying them cheap cause 2nd hand (only 5000kms use apparently)...pricing per tyre in the cheaper than linglong category.

One would assume with a 240 AA A UTQG rating that the tyre should be ok.....not concerned about the chewing through fast, just more interested in general grip and wet weather capabilities.

Cheers!!!! :spoton:

Edited by PTR_NITRO_FG

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 7d

Are they the oem tyre for the fg xr range?

The one thing I remember about them was when they're cold they had 0 grip. Didnt have tyres on car long enough for more feedback

• Like 1

• Donating Members
37 minutes ago, MurdoK said:

Are they the oem tyre for the fg xr range?

Yeh think so. Posted on other forum and so far just terrible experiences lol one guy said ok but only on his NA.

I just think that surely even almost new they should be at least on par with linglongs and junk....but so far just terrible reviews lol

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 1m 26d

Speaking of junk tyres..... I have 4 x Achilles fitted to my XR6, my thinking was i mainly do highway kilometres between Sydney and Canberra, or commute, so i could probably save a bit of cash as i dont drive the car in a sporting fashion shall we say.

Bzzzzzt.

Went to the tyre shop yesterday to get a puncture fixed - two of my Achilles are delaminating, to the point where the are very close to loosing air or popping. And my last set of Achilles did the same thing....... Tyres would be less than 6,000klms old

Once again, you get what you pay for.......

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Yeh im not expecting any miracles with these tyres. Im gunna buy them only cause like new and will be going on rims I will eventually be selling again. The price im paying will get me out of trouble for a little bit.....plus even if they aren't the grippiest....when it spins its actually quite fun and feels like I have 300rwkw lol 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 7d

that's crazy ms.

Nitro if you get them cheap they will serve there purpose.

Its interesting that for the fgx sprint ford have gone away from dunflops to pirelli's

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Yeh exactly my thought too Murdok!.....they are dirt cheap (and will try and sell the other pair to make my pair even cheaper lol). 

And they are off a FGX G6E.....so guessing the Pzeros are only for their hero cars (so as to compliment all the other suspension/brake changes). 

Apparently his son has a F6 with a tune and rekons he has 'no trouble with traction'...theres probably some BS in there, but im sure they'll do for now. 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 27d

When I first bought my Typhoon and had it tuned to 280rwkw the std dunlops couldn't hold the power even at that level. I swore I'd never use them again. 8 years later after trying plenty of tyres on the back with approx 370rwkw some of the no-name brands make the dunlops look pretty good. Haha! 

I agree with MurdoK - If the price is right I'd get them.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Yeh bought them last night lol felt bad for the old guy cause has g6e so wanted super quiet tyres and he rekons in the end his new ones only ended up being the tiniest bit quieter. 

Oh well....bargain for me and hopefully I can sell the other pair during the week.

But wont be on my car for a couple weeks...cause still gotta fully burn the skid tyres on them ATM :wwww:

Thanks peeps!!! :spoton:

• Like 1