Rear laser jammers on a ute??

Mr_Mike

• Member For: 8y 10m 22d

Anyone have Laser jammer heads installed on the back of their ute?

optimum positioning is one each side half way between tail light and number plate but due to the offset numberplate on the rear of utes this isnt really possible, so looking at some other options for set up.

Cheers Mike

• Member For: 15y 9m 3d

One of the stupid ideas that I have in mind for my ute (there's a bit of a list):

We all know that it's now expensive to obscure a licence plate - $1,000 fine.

However, the law makes an exception for tow bars and pushbike carriers.

Look at some older cars - the licence plate is in the middle of the rear bumper.  Add a towbar and it blocks the view of the licence plate.

Last week I saw a BA XR8 ute in East Perth that had the licence plate in the centre.  The towbar was obscuring part of the licence plate.  Hell yeah.

Turns out that there's a place making aftermarket rear bumpers.  Not cheap, around $400 upward, plus painting.  About the cost of a decent speeding fine.

http://www.awcinfo.com

Most cameras are set up rear facing these days (which also makes radar detectors fairly obsolete).

Get a bumper that puts the licence plate in the middle, add a pushbike carrier bracket and you've legally obscured the rear licence plate.  

Or, get a spare standard bumper and do some cutting and plastic welding.

Falcon_Ute_Rear_Bumper_1.jpg

Falcon_Ute_Rear_Bumper_2.jpg

Falcon_Ute_Rear_Bumper_3.jpg

Falcon_Ute_Rear_Bumper_4.jpg

ie create this:

Obscured_12_3_10_2014.jpg

Other photos - this stuff is legal. Go figure.

Obscured_03_2_8_2014.jpg

Obscured_05_10_8_2014.jpg

Obscured_06_15_8_2014.jpg

Edited by PhilMeUp

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d

Oh no officer, this isn't illegal, they are just parking sensors that utilize the exact same laser wavelength and pulse rate as speed enforcement devices do. They're so good when they notice your laser, they determine exactly what to fire back...... As long as you slam on the brakes and turn the thing off quick as possible you won't get caught I spose. You want one where the manufacturer delivers regular software updates

Phil that is a great idea but I believe a cop has discretion as to what constitutes an obscured number plate ('so that the characters thereon are clearly visible and legible by day and by night')

One thing straight off the bat is the numberplate and headlights reflect the laser that the cops shine at your car really well and I know that the plates have some 3M coating which aids significantly in this reflectivity. When you shine a laser at a numberplate it bounces back really strongly, you ideally want to reduce this.

Edited by johnxr6t
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johnxr6t said:

Phil that is a great idea but I believe a cop has discretion as to what constitutes an obscured number plate ('so that the characters thereon are clearly visible and legible by day and by night')

It's actually covered in legislation - Regulation 120 of the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014:

obscuring device means a device the use or operation of which would result in a plate on a vehicle being in an ID prevention state but does not include

(a) a tow ball fitted to the rear of a vehicle; or

(b) a bicycle rack fitted to the rear of a vehicle; or

(c) a bicycle carried on a bicycle rack fitted to the rear of a vehicle;

---------------------------------------------------

A person does not commit an offence under subregulation (2), (3), (6) or (7) if the thing that is preventing the whole or part of a character on the plate from being read

is —

(a) a tow ball fitted to the rear of the vehicle; or

(b) a bicycle rack fitted to the rear of the vehicle; or

(c) a bicycle carried on a bicycle rack fitted to the rear of the vehicle.

Edited by PhilMeUp

• Member For: 8y 10m 22d

Yeah radar/laser detectors are fairly obsolete these days as soon as the detectors picks up the Poliscan/Lidar beam the Poliscan already has a read on your speed. Laser jammers are the only way to go!

As mentioned they use an unregistered frequency but there use is illegal because they interfere with a police device. Can set jammers to only jam for 5-10sec then return to being parking sensors. This way hopefully gives you enough time to jump on the brakes and get under the speed limit and if a handheld the police just think they didnt have a proper lock on at first. 

The issue I have at the moment is a Poliscan projects a beam about 100cm in diameter at 500m, so anything reflective (even light coloured paint) will be detected by the laser. Obviously the numberplate and lights are the best targets. Front is easy as I have plenty of options to mount 3 heads that will completely protect the front but the offset rear plate and smooth bumper on the rear make mounting options difficult. 

I'm wondering if on the rear I can get away with one head above the plate then coat the tail lights in Veil to help protect from a rear attack.

BTW I'm not wanting jammers so I can drive like a f*ckwit, as anyone from Perth will agree speed cameras are well hidden over here on dead straight good condition roads. They are nothing but a cash cow for the government and I am sick of getting fines for doing 5km over a posted limit.

• Like 2

A laser system is definitely worth having in Perth.

I stuffed up a couple of years ago in my taxi.  Went through three cameras throughout the year at a bit over 10km/h over each time... on long weekends... on the freeway...  after midnight.

Each one would have been 2 points... doubled to 4...  three tickets = 12 points.  All for doing 16-18km/km over on a freeway with no other cars nearby.  Stuff that.

I'll be putting something on my green Tornado, but the rear bumper thing is worth pursuing. 

For your FG, I'm not sure if it's the same as a BA & BF bumper.  If so, then it's easy - just find a bumper from a wreck, get someone to plastic weld the licence plate recess into the centre and get the bumper painted (ie keep your original one intact).  Will still cost a bunch of money, but money comes and goes... demerit points stick around for longer (as does driving record and insurance issues).

--------------------------------------------

Radar detectors:  The Valentine One that I have in my taxi has been invaluable.  It gives no prior warning for rear-facing cameras, and minimal warning for front-facing cameras, but what it does do is tell me when there's a camera nearby, particularly at night.  I've memorised those locations, and these days I have a subconscious habit of double checking my speed before going past those locations.

--------------------------------------------

GPS:  Keep checking Gumtree and eBay, and buy a TomTom 730 or 930.  Either one of those two is the one to have.  Bring it to me, and I'll set it up.  I've set up my own POI (Point of Interest) files that have the locations of the fixed-location cameras.  I set it to Warn When Near POI so that when I'm 250 metres way from a camera location the TomTom makes audio alerts (eg poilce siren).  I change the alert sound every few months.  

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/auxiliary-plates.asp

what about this phil?

I reckon most cops will turn a blind eye though, but believe it is at their discretion.

Edited by johnxr6t