Blue smoke at idle

xeghia82

• Member For: 12y 3m 12d

Hi guys, 

my BF typhoon has a been blowing blue smoke on take off intermittently for the past few months. Along with the blue smoke is the smell of burning oil. The past 2 days it has been doing it on idle and puffs out more smoke when going to take off, again with the smell of burning oil. 

The car is making around 350rwkw. It has done 215,000 has been serviced every 5k for a very long time now using penrite hpr10. 

I am thinking it is the rings but thought I'd check here to see if anyone could shed some light on the issue. 

Thanks

George

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 19d

Couldn't be a blown seal in the back of the turbo housing? Once a bit of pressure builds in the housing it may push back against the seal & hold. Hence the smoke at idle. I mention it as I knew a guy that had one let go in spectacular fashion

I would be replacing the exhaust sensors too once the issue is tracked as they will be nuggeted with a healthy coat of burnt dinosaur juice

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 28d

Sounds like oil passing the rings. A leak down test will help pinpoint.

A constricted/blocked turbo drain will cause similar symptoms, but I doubt it's the turbo as they generally smoke more under boost if they seals are leaky (btw seals rarely fail, it's generally another fault such as blocked return or worn bearings that cause seals to leak)

You can also remove the oil filler cap and place your hand over it, get some body to give the engine a rev. If you feel pressure under your hand as the revs blip it's likely crankcase overpressure causing the smoke. Which is generally rings or can be a blocked crankcase ventilation system. If you get an indication that pressure is building in the crankcase get the ventilation system checked and a leak down done.

• Like 2

Hi guiys,

Thanks for the replies. 

I originally thought it was turbo related in the beginning as it has been doing it on and off. Removed the drain pipe to make sure it was not blocked and all checked out ok.

Along with the burning oil and topping it up a fair bit in between services (maybe 4-5 litres every 5000k's is what led me to believe it was the rings.

Unfortunately I cannot get a leak down test done until next week some time. So in the interim I will try what you mentioned Ralph Wiggum.

Thanks,

George

5 hours ago, julesk_1972 said:

Stem seals?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

What do you think Ralph? Is it a possibility or very unlikely?