Low compression on No. 5 cylinder and rough idle

Vipir

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m

Yeah don't rush into it.  If you are happy as is then no need to change it.

I spent about $5200 all up (including $1800 on a full Manta exhaust) and increased the power at the wheels by over 50%.  Think about that for a moment...they can become massively powerful with only a couple of grand.  Hell, they are already powerful cars.

But my Yaris driving fiancée can still drive it easily thanks to the nice sensible tune in it (the way the power comes on).  You have to really have the boot in a fair bit for it to go nuts.  One small example of a bad tune could be it ramping up power too early.  Causes wheelspin and will generally lose power up top.  Feels fast but in reality could be improved a lot.

To give you a ballpark idea:

My 5 grand got me an 11.9 second 1/4 mile (no fancy tricks either, drove in and raced on normal pressure street tyres) and 4.6 seconds 0 to 100kmh on plain road style surfaces.  At the drags (more grip) 0-100 was like 4 seconds!  Here's a snip from the logging during that run at the drags in April 2015

Vq6O1YY.jpg

It's faster than most of the cars out there except newer exotics or other more modified cars.  Even the new VF GTS (supercharged LSA etc) only gets a best of like 12.3 on the quarter and claimed 0-100 of 4.4 seconds.  Would beat me on a circuit though and it's got factory warranty :)

Edited by -Stever-

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m

Oh - being a manual you will lose a second (less if you're a pro at shifting) on a 1/4 mile race, keep that in mind.

Also becomes harder to launch without spinning the wheels (or bogging down) if it's manual.  I've read that launching a manual XR6T is a black art.

Edited by -Stever-

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 13y 7m 24d
On 3/26/2016 at 8:33 PM, -Stever- said:

Oh - being a manual you will lose a second (less if you're a pro at shifting) on a 1/4 mile race, keep that in mind.

Also becomes harder to launch without spinning the wheels (or bogging down) if it's manual.  I've read that launching a manual XR6T is a black art.

I'm pretty good at dropping the clutch and going - my gear changes are so smooth you can't feel them. There is nothing worse than a bit of whiplash when you're going up a gear.

Got the old engine home and had a look inside the bores. You wouldn't believe, but No. 2 cylinder still has all the cross-hatching from when it was born, but No. 4 cylinder has scoring worse than any of the others, and yet it was Nos. 1, 3, & 5 that were identified as badly scored. 

Wondering what to do with it - get it re-bored over time or sell the engine for some pocket money... who'd want a scored Barra?

Still haven't got the bill, but baby boy is going in for his 1,000km oil change on Thursday. It's so nice not to see the check engine light come on every day. I'm beginning to not look for it.

• Like 1