08 FG XR6 Turbo Ongoing Pinging Issue

mrdatsun21

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 20d

G'day there,

I have an 08 FG XR6 Turbo. Today it went into XFT for it's second tune.

Around 12 months ago I took it in for a full stage 1. Was pretty happy as it came out 280kw on 13psi. Whilst there I the lads called me and asked if it had 98 in it as it was pinging it's head off on the pre tune dyno run, before they'd even touched it. Now I've never run any off my car's (even my lawn mower gets 98) on anything different. Simon managed to get the 280 with a safe tune. We put it down to a bad batch of juice. But the problem was always there, occasionally when I'd give it a boot full it would ping (I'd immediately back off).

Since then I've put on a plaz 4 inch intake, process west stepped cooler and piping, xforce 4 inch dump & cat into 3.5 inch, and had the stock turbo done up with 64mm billet compressor wheel, ceramic ball bearings, wastegate ported, and 14lb actuator. Also walbro 460 in tank pump. Took the car back in today and had exactly the same issue. Doing a base run with just gate pressure and she's pinging her head off again. Managed to get another safe tune with 339kw at only 11psi. Less boost than the original tune!! Any more boost or timing and away she goes pinging like mad. Now 339 is pretty reasonable power, but I want to get rid of this bloody pinging.

Speaking with Simon he checked the VCT and that's all good. A couple other things he mentioned which I'll be going over is to check the compression. As the car was purchased second hand something may have happened previously and the engine has been changed or head removed and worked on. This theory is possible as when I removed the heat shrouding before getting the turbo done I found one of the very rear top row exhaust manifold to head bolt had snapped off. Which definitely wasn't me, I put it down to when I had the clutch done but the more I think about it it seems less likely that they would've needed to do anything in that region. The only other thing is that the head gasket has a slight leak and coolant is weeping into a cylinder somewhere.

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has had a similar issue with their car or knows of someone who has. I'd really like to get to the bottom of it so I can have the power, torque, and reliability that everyone else seems to have.

I know people love pictures so here's a couple of my machine!

Cheers All!!!

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

Edited by mrdatsun21
  • Like 1

• Donating Members

Cheers turbotrana,

Simon mention all of that. I was planning on checking engine numbers and also compression. I'm very much hoping someone hasn't changed the engine before I got the car. But it would explain the broken rear manifold bolt. I'll investigate the engine numbers and compression. Then have to get someone to do the leak down test as I don't have the equipment for that.

PTR they're genuine RZ-DF's yes. Cost a mint. Pity about the wife scratching the fork out of them!

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

That sounds nasty.  Get it fixed before the upcoming cruise that I've just read about in WA chat. :)  Good luck man.  I have a bit less power on 15PSI!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 29d

PTR they're genuine RZ-DF's yes. Cost a mint. Pity about the wife scratching the fork out of them!

Dang....wouldn't have been cheap! Mrs shouldn't be driving lol also should have tried those rimskim things

Also re: manifold bolts .... I thought I read they sometimes fall off when they aren't retorqued regularly? Not sure if they snap though.....hopefully someone smarter than me can chime in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Righto guys.

So I've done some investigating and found that the engine number doesn't line up. So I've read that the engine number forms part of the VIN?? That's definitely no the case. When the car was serviced by Mcinerney Ford the engine number they've written on the service sheet is different. I've called them and double checked and this is the engine number they think is in the car. When I checked the rego papers the engine number is different again. The number on the papers forms part of the VIN.

Now the actual number on the engine is different to both of those. Is there a combination difference between turbo and NA motors? I tried ringing Ford Australia to see if they could plug in the engine number and tell me what the engine was from but apparently they can't.

I've also now completed a compression test. I got 195psi for nearly all 6 cylinders. 4 and 5 were both slightly lower. I thought XFT had said that 185-190psi was what it was supposed to be. With this in mind is it possible that with normal wear this was an NA engine and that they have about 200 psi per cylinder when new?? I'm not sure how much higher compression an NA engine is supposed to be over a turbo so if anyone knows the spec's please let me know.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

The plot thickens.

Annoying that Ford can't search the engine number...?