I want an Xr6t!

DreamingXr6t

• Member For: 8y 2m 21d

Hello Xr6t lovers!

I've been a Commodore man since I started driving but I think of going to turn to the dark side!

I'm wanting an FG Xr6t manual between 2011-2014 as it's in my price range & is a requirement from the bank as I'm getting a secure car loan which means the car can't be anymore than 5 years old!

I wouldn't know the first thing when it comes to the Fords.. What is the best model between those years? Is there much difference? Do I get a ute or a sedan? Are they easy to make power?  What issues have you had with your FG? What are the downfalls that you have personally experienced? Any positive & negative feedback would be fantastic! Hope someone can help.. You can have that feeling of converting a Expensive Daewoo boy into a Ford boy! :) 

Cheers! 

image.jpeg

Edited by DreamingXr6t

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 24d

Welcome to the site mate.  

Woah, theres a lot going on in that post.  errr, lets start with the basics;

- How much are you going to throw at this thing to start with? $

- How much money are you going to throw at modifications? (if any)

- Do you want or need a ute? do you have a family?

- Do you want an 8 or a 6?

Edited by FiftyOne

• Member For: 8y 2m 21d

Hey mate thanks for the reply!

At the end of the day I'm looking for reliability! I'm only 20 & I'm not having children anytime soon so a ute would seem like fair play & would love to be able to whack stuff in the back. 

I could see it staying fairly stock but if I had $3000 to throw at it would could I do performance wise?

I'd just love to know what model I'd find the most reliability. I've been through way too many money pits, I want something that will treat me well! Will only be for street use, no track days. 

• Member For: 14y 5m 27d

If you're still on P plates you should check the restrictions on what you can drive....

besides that FG mk2 would be the pick, better tech would be my main score for upgrading. Read through some of the stickied threads, plenty of excellent information on issues people have had with the FG series, insurance guides, modification guides. Days worth of info to work through.

good luck with it, you will love it!

• Like 1

• Banned
  • Member For: 8y 10m 8d

After owning a 2014 FG mk2 XR6 turbo sedan for around 6 months, impressions are generally positive. Fairly quick stock and quicker than most cars on the street. Suspension and brakes are not adequate for spirited drives, but fine for normal every day driving. Mine is an auto though. Shifts quick. Not sure what a manual is like to drive and how boost is effected. Ute will have leaf spring rear and sedan will have IRS. I would personally get a F6 which has more power and better brakes and suspension, unless you plan to spend money upgrading all that anyway on a XR6T. For me the handling and stopping power is the only thing that's really holding the car back. They are quite responsive to modifications. All you can really do is take one for a test drive and then you will know.

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 12d

Personally (and from my own experience) go test drive both an FG2 and a VF of equivalent price. The two cars are very different. I actually traded an FG2 GT for a VF Bogan special -R as I found it a much nicer place to be while you're driving around town. The features, build quality, handing and feel of the car were way ahead of the Falcons. I had much better customer service experiences with the red team too. If you're saying you don't want a money pit, truthfully, the VF will probably end up costing you less long term.

If you buy a turbo FG2 and spend $3k on mods then it won't stop there...trust me. These things get expensive REAL quick once you start modding them. If you're ok with that, cool. They certainly are impressive (and a lot of fun) with a bunch of power though!

It really depends on what you're wanting out of your car. If you're just chasing cheap and easy power then the Falcons are the way to go. If you're chasing something comfortable and with better features, but are happy enough to sacrifice a little straight line speed, then I'd seriously suggest looking into VF's.

Oh and if you buy a powerful Falcon, get used to the idea of diff bushes being a consumable

• Member For: 15y 5m 12d

Utes don't have diff bushes.

Stripes is the local nay sayer. Nothing wrong with that but I garrentee you'll find a bloke on a Expensive Daewoo site saying how much better the ford product is. There's bad experiences from customers of any company.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 30d

How much effort did you actually put into making claims Dan?

Like did you follow up several times and they just say "its normal" and avoid the warranty work? What was your issue with the GT? Too much backlash or something?

Maybe the dealer was sh*t...With the one Ford dealership I've dealt with, they are happy to put through any warranty work that is possible, cause they still get $$$ for their dealership

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 12d

Heaps of follow-up. Issue with the GT wasn't backlash (although that did increase with CAT600 bushes...but that's the nature of those bushes in an otherwise stock car), it was that the gearbox was f*cked and they didn't want a bar of it, despite the dealerships workshop foreman (and other performance workshops agreeing) replicating the issue and admitting there was something wrong there.