New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 27d

True!!

I dont think it would be much of an issue if they weren't such fukwits (my builder) Yes they are building MY house to which I think the home owner should have more rights.

The home owner should be able to go onsite when ever they wont (if safe to do so) things change and idea's come up whilst the build is taking place. You might want to add something here or take something away. From paper to real life are 2 different things.

I would like to add blocking in the garage so I can hung the bikes, all my surf craft maybe even a wall hung tool cabinet later on. 

I know I can to the work myself or get one of my carpenter friends to do it but I know my builder (not a carpenter)  will go ape 5hit because he will be missing out on money.

Anyway Inspection booked in for Friday total cost $400.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 5d

The going on site when ever u like will never happen!

Even though u are the intended owner of the project, until the keys are in your hands...its not actually your property!

Its private property and a construction site.

Its a poor way to conduct a system but it is the best way to limit any incidents of injury.

Plus the builder can hide all the I <3 Bananas ups that are made along the way.

sounds like its going to move in the right direction Pixy. Dont let the builder bully you. Hopefully the inspection is all clear for your sake if not atleast you are at a point where you can make things be fixed and rectified..

look forward to hearing what the verdicts are

• Member For: 10y 2m 26d

I asked a glass rep today what you could do .best thing he said to do is ask for the window manufacturer to give you writen prove that they used the corect glass and that it passes the Australian standards .he said it will be hard for a builder to tell if it is a high performance glass as most builders have no idea .even I find it hard to tell what glass it is .somtimes if we can not work out what type of glass it is we send a sample of the brocken glass to GJames glass tech support and pay $150 for them to analyze the glass .we do that due to a lot of glass is imported from over seas and is very hard to match .the only way I know it is a special glass is that one side of the glass has a smoth surface and the other is grippy ,which is the side with the coating .by the way the low iron in the glass only gets rid of the green tint out of it ,it has no performance effect at all .but the high performance coating makes a huge difference .then laminated glass is 90 percent uv resistant as your furniture will fade a lot less ,also the glass will look a lot smother than toughened glass which when you look side on looks like it has waves in it . Laminated glass also reduces noise by a fair bit than toughened or aneald glass .

• Like 3

• Expert
  • Donating Members

Thanks mate great advice.

I had plans to visit manufacture today but finished night shift 7am school drop off + dentist + wet weather = can't be fuked and went to bed. 

It's now on my to do list tomorrow also want to see how much for chrome mirror's if they do them.

Will keep you posted.

Today I had the garage floor being polished. I'll get some photo's Friday along with the window stickers. 

• Like 2

• Expert
  • Donating Members

This morning I went to the window manufacture to ask about the windows and the mirrors. Firstly they dont do mirrors.

Second the lady was great bought up our house file and said that all our windows are correct. She also said that a certificate will be issued to the builder when completed.

I also asked would I need the certificate for insurance.

The lady was great and gave me some more insight about the builder/company............NOT GOOD!

They said they never paid there trade always away on holidays (YEP) and that their show home was always vandalised.

Now she says that I do remember builders wife telling us things always got stolen from the show home and once someone flooded the house by putting a hose through the window. 

It explain why they sold their family home to move into the show home.

KARMA a bitch and will always get you.

• Like 2

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 5d

Glad u took my advise to bypass the builder and contact the installation company! 

U also got some more info on this clown of a builder which is good in some ways, but also a worry as u now know just that little bit more about there way of dealing with clients/trades/suppliers. 

Hopefully they are paying there trades atm, or u will end up with some very cranky tradies not giving to much of a funk about your home, which isnt a good thing for u or the trades.

This builder sounds like the type to get final payments and disappear by the sounds of it.

Have u down much of a background check on them? 

Do u speak with many of the trades onsite about the builder? 

• Like 1

• Member For: 10y 2m 26d

The BSA will take over if they go down as they would have had to pay insurance to evenvstart your home .I would phone up the bsa to ask if he had a curent bsa lisence and if he has any restrictions on it .you can acturaly go on line and type in his name and his history will come up if he has done any dodgy work or if he has testrictions

• Like 1