New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 11m 11d
1 hour ago, Pixy Angel said:

Most of the time it comes down to the banks. Our bank will not make payment without a certificate/Authority to pay. The builder sends us a payment invoice for section of work (E.G - external wall, roof) and then about a week later we get the paper work showing us that a independent inspection was curried out, Authority to Pay Certificate. When then send this off to the bank.

The bank send signs off and forward the money into the builders nominated account.

I do agree with BAXRTUTE I think the building industry should be tighter and the home owner show have more rights. I think it should be done because this would get rid of the shonky builders out of the game. This also falls with fair trade/ local council and all the dodgy inspectors that get paid and to sign off on sh*tty workmanship that does not meet building code.

Once the walls are up how do you know if the work is done right or meets code. I have caps as big as 130mm from the slab to the frame, and the slab to the brick work. I know that is not to code the maximum is 45mm. Now what?

I have kept a log since the build started day by day who is onsite and what work is done on that day and have plenty of photo's.

Hey pix,

The photos u have taken... were u actually on site? Or from out side the fence line?

With the gaps between frame finishings and slab, a engineer would of signed off on that after a pretty solid look at it... weather its within allowance guidelines or not doesnt matter, if the structure  is sound and signed off by a engineer! You really have to fight very hard to prove that inspection wrong.

I had a house in May that was 125mm out of square from the front width to the back width, 

When I was setting out the main floor to tile, the owner came on site as he was the lecko for the same builder, I had to point this out to him as I couldnt get the set out right for a centre tile through the entry, poor guy already new and had spent 8mths fighting them about it,

He lost and had to pzy there court fees as well as his own and then a backcharge from the building company for delays of works!

His ended up having to build this house to sell it and still be in debt.

Just saying fight as much as u like, but its a long hard fight to sometimes get no result.

zCWPqBR.jpg 1qdV3Di.jpg 

This was the site of this guys house, as he was fighting them in court, they didnt give a stuff about his job and let the place become a mess.

I sent these pics to the GM of the company with my concern towards people living next door to this project with there name all over it, next day site was cleaned.

• Like 2

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 2d

Holly crap what a mess. It still doesn't give the tradies the right to be cops they still should take pride in their work regardless of the situation.

Photo's where taken from inside the fence. I have white card and had builders permission to entry site along with all PPE plus code to builders pad lock.

The craps are structurally sound but doesn't line up with the slab so technically the wall will not be straight and as you said the flooring will be out and hollow underneath. Which then I think will be a weak spot if anyone steps on could cause problems later on. Timber floors inside and tiles outside.

Im hoping it will get fixed before hand and im sure it will but it does give you concerns. There is soooo much that need fixing EG down pipes dont line up to storm water pipes.

The house is no spec home it's costume and I should expect costume quality with the build and finishes. 

Im not that stupid to take anyone to court unless im 100% sure like I did with our first architect and I won.

Do you know anything about Low E glass? We have paid extra to have it but can't tell the difference. Plus they have to meet fire rating of BAL 19 west/north and south and BAL 12.5 east. 

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 27d

https://www.awa.org.au/documents/item/174

this might help for your fire rating

and this might help to identify low e glass

http://www.nationalglass.com.au/catalogues/NGP_Section_03.pdf

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 11m 11d

Or u could do that lol. Thanks crazy.

Yeah mate Newcastle Port stephens Great lakes area. I did do a job in figtree about 6yrs ago but, had 1100m of sand stone but so was worth going down for it.

Got a few mates that are tradies in Ulladulla but that's still a 2hr drive

• Like 1

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 2d

Have family in maitland and have been wanting to stay at Port Stephens in the caravan. We holiday in Ulladulla all the time mainly Burrell Lake

Thanks @bloodycrashboy fire rating I know a bit about it's the glass I have doubts about. There is no markings on it saying if it's low E or not.

All north facing glass and our main bedroom window facing east to stop that morning sun should be Low E, paid for. Identifying the Low E PDF was very helpful thanks bro. Ill be up there checking now.

All our fly screens are aluminium.

Internal%20Wall-2_zpscrvzfel9.jpg

Edited by Pixy Angel
  • Like 1

Check it. Variations in a contract are no no specially without you signing off on it. 

Where about in the gong. I had a house on auburn street ;)