New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

Future proofing, Marco. 

Cat 5E is just as good as Cat 6 hence the almost identical price. Don't bother with regular Cat 5 if you have the extra to spend, but it would do gigabit job (128.5megabytes per second) 

I've smashed that speed many times over a 10 gig switched setup haha but I'm an IT nerd, so it's ok 

• Get It To Wheelspin Uncontrolably Then Give It Another 5 Pounds
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 13y 6m 3d
35 minutes ago, k31th said:

Future proofing, Marco. 

that's what I was thinking... just couldnt think of the words. 

Like I mentioned earlier, 60 cents a meter for CAT6. Not really splurging to put it in

http://krazy3006.tumblr.com/post/145047611686

Missus has been busy at home.

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 24d

Cat5 was free for me and I still have a box with about 200m worth of cable.

Even future proofing, I still cant see what would use those speeds, even 4k resolution for tv, wouldnt use all of that.

I do see your point in the cost difference being minimal, but cat6 is harder to work with when trying to bend it around corners.

Yes I know you have to be carefull with breaking the wires when bending the cable.

The hardest part of trying to get cat6 cable to bend was when you run it down the outside wall and try to get it into the hole that was drilled from the room into the cavity.

That is why you should pay someone else to do the job.

• Cruise Control

Lol, bending radius...

This is at work. Given, its temporary, cost of re-running it means nothing to them and it would have reduced its capability, but you would be surprised what the cable can withstand.

Lyv0Fsq.jpg

H06cuq8.jpg

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 1m 28d
Why does everyone go cat6? If you run cat5/6 cable in the roof space and it comes anywhere near electrical cables, you have to have a perspex tube of at least 50mm to seperate them.

This reduces interferance in any case.

Standard procedure is pvc conduit or 150mm segregation between power/comms or cross at 90 degree angle.. what's this perspex tube you speak of?

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 24d

Yeah that is what I meant and the electrician that did my work many a years ago before regulations did 5cm. It has since changed with the new regulations and I am not going to pay for a new electrician to come out and fix it, unless you offering...... 

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 26d
1 hour ago, masda74 said:

Yeah that is what I meant and the electrician that did my work many a years ago before regulations did 5cm. It has since changed with the new regulations and I am not going to pay for a new electrician to come out and fix it, unless you offering...... 

If your installation was compliant when installed it's all sweet now.

A far bigger problem I commonly see is an excessive untwist rate where the wire is terminated. This is why I bash electricians, they think it's the same as putting the active neutral and earth into the back of a GPO when you've actually gota take some care with termination. Time after time, I have seen dodgy communications job performed by an electrician that I have been called in to fix. To be fair I've also seen many dodgy comms guys.

The worst job was a recent one. Instead of replacing a cable that they had stuffed up while installing they decided to strip and twist the wires together and the bonus was that this join was ontop of a electrical junction box which makes the interference EVEN WORSE.

There is a reason companies choose a dedicated communications provider when the electrical contractors generally offer to throw in comms wiring for a pittance to try and secure the contract.

I would always go for cat6. I would also use a company that has dedicated comms people. The thicker conductors, higher twist rate and overall cable design is far superior over cat5 and if somebody is charging you significantly more for it they are ripping you off. Also I must mention I have managed to make shorter cat5 runs comply with cat6 specification by reterminating with cat6 sockets and keeping untwist rate to a minimum.

I think what helped me learn what I know about cabling is I've always had access to the test equipment (fluke DTX 1800 for example) so was able to see early on the effects of a kink in the cable on the test result graph. Also yeah you can twist join a cable dodgy style and have it pass cat5 spec, it'll spike in loss right where the join is though, visible on graph.

Edited by johnxr6t
  • Like 2

• Cruise Control

Kitchen tidied up, plastic still on microwave with bubbles to set of Steve's OCD... Will be getting a range hood and cupboards put in when I get home. Anyone got or had experience with pull out ranges before?

SAUyMxI.jpg

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

Oh god 

qXKfdkt.jpg

• Like 3