New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 11d
3 hours ago, arronm said:
Dont sign. If its exceeds the allowable coverage you will be made to pull it down. It will NOT get approved. That is probably the reason it wasnt put in for approval in the first place.

Just found out the block is zoned R30, meaning the minimum outdoor living space is 24sqm, so the patio needs to leave at least half that uncovered...which is 12sqm...soooo, it should possibly be ok, given the uncovered area directly adjacent to the patio is like 12sqm or so, plus all the path that runs around the rest of the house and near the washing line.

That and it sits 550mm offset from the side fence, which the R-codes state is fine.

So I'm hoping it should be all good to get a retrospective approval...but still gonna ask the building inspector on Monday before I do anything.

2 hours ago, Puffwagon said:
Fair enough.

Would you still buy the place for 20 to 30k less? 

I bought my house for 65k less than the original advertised price.

Not convinced he'd sell it for 20-30k less, to be honest, remembering that I approached him about selling. I never expected to pay bargain price, but a fair price nonetheless. His addition to the contract is pretty farking carnty though!

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

Nothing wrong with bargaining.

For example: get a quote for removal and rebuilding a suitable patio. Take that figure to the vendor and ask him if he would rather take that from the sale price or pay for it himself to sell it in the future. 

Alternatively send back an offer that is subject to council approval for the patio. 

Imo if removing the patio is going to remove a valuable space in the property and it will cost money to do that then the property is worth less than previously thought. 

My figures were arbitrary but may not be far off.

• Like 4

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 28d
On 20/01/2017 at 9:51 PM, .Stripes. said:

Cheeky farker! He added to the contract a special condition that I'm aware that the patio isn't council approved and accept as is...

Building inspector is coming first thing Monday morning, so will ask him if it'll be easy enough to get retrospectively approved...otherwise fark that! Can't do anything until then anyway, but get farked if I'm signing that condition if it'll be a problem to get approved!

Sounds dodgy mate. The current owner must have his "patio" council approved before selling.

It's like like pools they must meet code and council approved before selling.

This goes for anything added to the house.

Like some have said take heaps off the asking price........HEAPS!! or they have to get the house council approved.

Good luck mate keep us posted.

• Like 2