New Build - Home Renovations - Gardens - Garages & Sheds.

Pixy Angel

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 1d

One happy campers on Monday when the concrete went in for the footings and the garage slab.

Well that was short lived when I received the invoice late last night from the builder for the great wall for the sum of 18k. Holly sh1t I was off my rocker and ready to explode and needs to be paid withing 7 days. MERRY "FARKING" CHRISTMAS.

Little did they know that I had spoken with the our engineer last Thursday and he said the same thing that I should not have to pay for it.

With emails to and from and the builder using big words and throwing in quotes from the contract, "like under clause 2 it says" so this morning I did the same "under clause 14 of the contract and quoted what our engineer stated that the excavation company over excavated and what the workcover person said.

Now there additude has changed and now they said they look into.

Not what any person needs right before christmas, bloody wankers.

Here is some pics

Garage%20slab_zps6cgvlnnj.jpg

Garage%20slab-16_zpshwa5ri1h.jpg

Garage%20slab-21_zpsd6jmqnuw.jpg

• Like 4

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 1d

having a argument at the start of builds like this make the rest of the build a little awkward haha

good luck with the rest of the build (Y)

Im not to worried about it because I think they know and are only trying to bush it to see what we do. It may or might have work with other clients but not us. When you have your engineer telling you also that it's not our problem it says a lot then.

I dont think that the builder should have to pay either it wasnt their problem just a bad excavation company.

Hey guys having worked in the refrigeration and airconditioning trade for a long time if anyone ever needs any advice regarding ac or refrigeration feel free to pm me always be happy to help :)

Hi Cjafpv glade you jumped in. We've had a lot of issues trying to find a Air Con mob to give us quotes. They're all keen and when we send the plans we dont here from them again. We even ring them back to follow up and nothing.

Where is home mate. Im in wollongong.

We're after ducted throughout. any help would be great.

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

One happy campers on Monday when the concrete went in for the footings and the garage slab.

Well that was short lived when I received the invoice late last night from the builder for the great wall for the sum of 18k. Holly sh1t I was off my rocker and ready to explode and needs to be paid withing 7 days. MERRY "FARKING" CHRISTMAS.

Little did they know that I had spoken with the our engineer last Thursday and he said the same thing that I should not have to pay for it.

With emails to and from and the builder using big words and throwing in quotes from the contract, "like under clause 2 it says" so this morning I did the same "under clause 14 of the contract and quoted what our engineer stated that the excavation company over excavated and what the workcover person said.

Here is some pics

Getting the concrete poured is exciting, gives you a better perspective of how big its going to be

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 15d

Here is some pics

Ok I've read this for a while and I got a couple questions

1. Is your area a rural area or residential Coz fhuked if I'd live in a bushfire zone and be that close to my neighbours (just my2 cents and it is cruisey here in sa as bush fire zones are normally in the hills with big blocks and an abundance of space)

2. I have never seen someone excavate that deep that close to boundary before

This seems odd engineering wise that it was even an option ??? But I'm no expert..,. Yet lol

3. No if they Fharked up the excavation you shouldn't have to pay for it so the builder can shove it and claim off his excavation mob

That's why they have insurance

4. I seriously can't wait to be a builder (not that I want to do residential) but it's fairly obvious that people who aren't of a trade back ground or a building back ground get taken for a heavy ride price wise and a advise wise when building custom (Not referring directly to u pixy as I don't know what you've paid and u seem to be making some smart decisions with not just shelling over cash etc) but some people lately I've been dealing with are just blind to

It.

5. Do u have the plans of the layout of the house portion, I'm curious As to what it's gonna be layout wise, would be cool to see.

On other news I have my first construction project coming up and We got handed keys on Thursday for our new development which I will be junior overseeing from Jan onwards (the PM is in NSW so I'm it! Other than his monthly visits)

10,000 square metre facility

Some partially warehouse conversion

Some new build

Pretty excited !!!!

Still reading through the abundance of construction specifications I got sent for "light reading" lmao

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 15d

Well I know from my perspective I am looking at undertaking our house and to dig down from footings is a 45 degree angle outwards from the Base of the footings

Hard to explain via forum but basically Pixys house is screwing up his neighbours footings by a long shot assuming they haven't dug in like pixy

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 27d

Well I know from my perspective I am looking at undertaking our house and to dig down from footings is a 45 degree angle outwards from the Base of the footings

Hard to explain via forum but basically Pixys house is screwing up his neighbours footings by a long shot assuming they haven't dug in like pixy

Not necessarily true.

It also depends on the bearing pressure/capacity at different levels of the excavation.

Generally the 45* rule is accurate and applies for temporary excavations, but this just requires some sort of trench support during the excavation. Once they complete his rape dungeon/garage and backfill against it, the wall of the garage would be designed to sustain the load that would normally have been distributed through the ground.

Though in the argument of the contract and who is liable. Always read what you sign. In this case the builder will have provisions for the earthworks and this may have a clause that stipulates that over excavation of material unsuitable to be built upon will incur additional cost.

In pixys case though IIRC the excavator operator kept poking the hole even after he had been instructed to stop. So that is definitely between him and the builder.

• Like 3