New Tyres For 2012 Fg Xr6T Lux Pack

Para045

• Member For: 14y 7m 29d

Hi I've had my white 2012 XR6T with luxury pack and 19" rims for about 10 months now and love it but she's about due for new rubber :rock:

Currently has the OEM Dunlop Sport Max 235/35 - 19's on it and had ~19000km when I got it but now has ~32000km and they are close to the wear bars and a bit slippery in the wet (and dry if given a boot full in 1st :wwww: )

From a lot of reading of various threads it seems that the Achilles ATR2's or Nitto Invo's are the go without pending huge $ but am still unsure of a few things.

1) I'm in Perth and Google wasn't very good for finding local sellers of either of those, anyone comment on where they got them in Perth? (I'm NOR).

2) Also would I be better going to a wider tyre and what would be the largest I could reasonably fit on those rims without any issues?

3) From reading a few threads it appears the Commonwhore runs a 235/40 and from what I can tell they should fit and make the speedo pretty much dead on as it over reads by ~4kmh now compared to GPS so would this be a way to go? :ermm: I gather that it may also help reduce some of the harshness I'm finding in the ride as I work in the hills of Perth (Wooroloo) and the roads are quite bumpy and coarse chip with rough edges! I've also noticed the current tyres seem to "tramline" a bit on bumps and ruts and I notice a lot of the bumps which I never did in my old EL 5L ex Police car which was lowered quite a bit more but with std Dunlop Le-Mans 15" tyres :huh:

I'm more than happy to stick with the Dunlop's if necessary but again a lot of the threads reckon the Achilles and Invo's are a better option and bang for buck ;)

I like to give a bit of stick every now and then and like to push it through the twisty back roads so want decent grip but I'm not really into huge burnouts or traffic light drags and do over 560km a week just to and from work so do want a reasonable amount of wear as well so any advice would be appreciated :)

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d

Just came off the innvo's and they were great.

I went the 245/40 profile and yeah - it did correct the speedo - I wouldn't go that profile again though.

I was expecting the higher profile would translate to a bit less harshness/extra comfort etc, but there really wasn't any.

Stick with the 245/35 - don't go with the Dunlops

Don't buy tyres to correct your speedo - you can get it done at a tuner if it's important to you (will be getting mine done next time it's at the shop.

• Like 1

I'm not that fussed about the speedo difference to spend money on getting it done, just figured if it did the job as well as smoothing the ride then I'd go that direction as my previous car was an EL 5L ex cop car and the speedo's are able to be configured to suit different tyres etc and I got used to having the speedo spot on ;) Compared to my MC where the speedo is ~8% over it isn't so bad ;) Oh I did a typo in there as I have 235 instead of 245 :ermm:

Any idea on the width question? How much wider if any can I go on those rims?

Still need to find someone who stocks the Invo's or the Achilles in Perth as well and see what $ they are and whether it'll be cheaper to get them from over your way as we got Goodyear Fortera's from Tempe tyres way cheaper than any store here :wwww:

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d

You sure they're 235's? Mine came with 245's (LE wheels - same as Lux, just darker)

Either way - am pretty sure 245's would be as wide as most people would recommend

The Innvo's I bought from Taleb tyres in Sydney - even with delivery (to Vic) the price was excellent. They're a forum sponsor too.

My latest I got from Tempe, via ebay.

Even with delivery and local fitting they worked out a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the tyres from a local dealer.

Bugger did it again I do have 245/19 NOT 235 :rant2::surrenderwave: Yeah the 1st set of Fortera's we got for our Terra Turbo Ghia were $400 each and the guy reckoned he was making nothing on them :bs: Last set I got from Tempe for $200 each so even with ~$35 F&B they were much cheaper :wwww: Off to sleep now :sleep:

• Member For: 9y 3m 6d

I have been using these:

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/azenis-fk453-tire

Full set on my FG ute in 19" and in 20" on my Escape. Can't fault them. Great in the dry ( good launch over the Dunlop's, with just enough slip when having fun) great in the wet and I go over some winding roads everyday (blue mountains) don't take long to warm up and I usually get 50k+ out of a set. Had the FK452's before and they were unreal.

Bob Janes and most independent dealers stock them, I got buy 3 get 1 free last set so good deal I think ($230 each drive in/out) always feel confident with them and the wife never complains about aquaplaining in the wet like other brands I've tried.

Been using Falkens for 10 years always been happy

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by Nitrofgxr6t

• Member For: 14y 6m 4d

When I got new tires in February, the guy recommended Pirelli P=Zero Corsa's which he apparently "used" on his HSV. Never again, talk about road noise, I never noticed it much on the previous tires which were a brand I didn't recognize but these Pirelli's I noticed straight away. So I won't use them again.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 25d

Been using Falkens for 10 years always been happy

Farkin lucky bloke here ^^^ whatever you do dont go the Falken PT-722 tyres (think they are a step down from FK453). Used to slip around RIDICULOUS amounts on wet roads (I.e. 30kmh exiting roundabout and she would slide like crazy). Put me off Falken altogether :P

OP... from online calculators; it recommends 245 as the widest possible on stock 8" rims. There are some people who say 255 is ok (but I'm just not sure who to believe in the end lol).

ATR's are apparently terrible in the wet....I've read Invos are a lot better but they usually run out of grip at the 10-15000km mark? (not sure if that's with no tread left or whether there is still a little but no grip). My favourite tyre so far has been Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 (excellent wet weather handling and I got like 30,000km and still had a mm or two left - stock power). Downside expensive (paid $470 each or something for 265/35/18). Everyone will have their favourite brands, BFYB, etc....I'm planning on trying the continental Conti Sport 5's next - just depends how strapped for cash I am at the time...cause usually choose a reputable brand that is on special on ebay (so also looking at Hankook rs3, sumitomo htr z3, Conti sport 3s, etc) - as long as the manufacture date isn't older than 3yrs or so (tyres go sh*t by the 6yr mark).

As for Perth...I think a few have said Continental Tyres in Malaga (invos) and ATR's should be easy to find (everybody sells them pretty much). I think I recall some small company on gumtree were pretty competitive with their Achilles prices (but think they were just SOR or maybe East like kalamunda styles).

Bumps and ruts would be down to rims size and tyre profile....comparing your old car with 15" (and assuming 50-60 profile) to a 19" with 35 profile....you will definitely notice a difference in harshness lol but could also be bushes or something like that (but with your low kms it would be doubtful). As for speedo reading incorrect....I have NFI??? Having the stock 245/35/19 one would imagine that Ford would have calibrated your vehicle to suit those tyres? And only thought speedo movements happen when putting larger or smaller tyres than what the car was originally equipped with?

Good luck in your choice :P

Edited by PTR_NITRO_FG

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 26d

Pirelli p corsa zero's are rcomps (bottom left in photo) - track Tyres so that's a good reason they are noisy. Awesome Tyres though

fd2206e8406b08af2a7388264e605bfe.jpg

• Member For: 9y 3m 6d

Farkin lucky bloke here ^^^ whatever you do dont go the Falken PT-722 tyres (think they are a step down from FK453). Used to slip around RIDICULOUS amounts on wet roads (I.e. 30kmh exiting roundabout and she would slide like crazy). Put me off Falken altogether :P

Maybe I am! :) I've never gone down in the range always brought higher up as wet weather grip is important as in the dry you have more time to correct!

Think the message here is don't skimp on quality what every you choose tires make a huge difference in any car you drive especially performance cars. Best advise I was give once about tyres is its hard to get the perfect tyre for all conditions ( without paying silly money) better to choose attributes that matter the most and sacrifice attributes that are least important, I.e better wet weather grip v's poor road noise or quick heat up time at the drags v's low grip in the wet.

Balance is the key I reckon