Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 11d
3 hours ago, JETURBO said:

ID and KPM are the only ones who "actually" do some serious work to the base raw bosh injector, all the others just flog the raw base bosh injector as their product 

I'll pay the additional for ID/KPM every time and you will find many tuners in the know and workshops use ID first and foremost 

KPM does not do any serious work above anyone else. KPM and Injector Dynamics are not even in the same league.

There are heaps of other brands that do exactly the same thing as ID.  ID originally machined the head of a common EV-14 injector (52lb'er iirc) to create the ID1000 as there was a big void in the market for a high flowing injector. Many others then replicated the process, KPM being one of them.  

Bosch since made the 0 280 158 040 for the Polaris snow mobile and they flow about 1180 cc/min at 3 bar.  A lot of people are using these instead of the ID's now and a re a decent base injector.

There are other brands that did the same as ID in that they had Bosch injectors made for them. The 1650cc Bosch injector was made specifically for ASNU (has a unique number for them) but is also distributed by Bosch under a different identification number. Everyone is selling these now and they're also a decent base injector. 

The ID1300 and ID1700 are a very unique injector and is what separates ID from the rest these days.  However there are a lot more high flowing quality options compared to what was available in 2010 for example. Today actually marks six years my BA heapa has been running on e85 and I have been following the evolution of injectors since.

There are plenty of aftermarket ECU's that require decent data. Haltech Elite etc needs decent data if your VE table is going to be correct.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 11d

I'll also argue that decent data is MORE important for the newer generation of aftermarket ECU's.  With these you add the available injector data and then go about tuning the VE table from scratch or from a supplied base tune. 

With th a factory falcon PCM for example most people these days are just using the supplied breakpoint and battery offset values and then adjusting the slopes to meet the fueling demands.  At best I've seen guys do some lowering of the speed density slope at higher RPM to add fuel but without touching the offset you are adding fuel at low manifold pressure (like decel) where it isn't always needed....ok if you like flames!!  In all the tunes I've seen I have never ever seen anyone use the supplied hi and low slope data and correctly adjust the SD slope and offset.  Add cams where the low rpm airflow is less and the mid to high airflow is greater and you see greater fudging of the supplied injector slope data. 

• Member For: 9y 10m 3d

Transient fuel as I know it in all the aftermarket Ecu world is another name for throttle pump basically the sudden movement in throttle opening there needs to be an enrichment otherwise you end up with a flat spot.I hope that's clear as mud.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

that's a good way of describing it and if you think about the wording it's clear it's the fueling requirement for "Transition" between targets map points/air inrush/TB movement etc etc 

typical changes to this calibration would be manifold area changes ;) 

Edited by JETURBO

• Member For: 17y 10m 25d

Is this mostly used in light throttle applications, or across the range?  Also, how do you work out exactly where the enrichment is needed, and by how much? Is it a by feel? Or can it be identified when logging with a wideband?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 29d

Think Accelerator pump on a carby.
And no idea on any above .

I do remember watching a stream of fuel get pumped down the throat of my yzf dirt bike when cracking the throttle quickly. So I assume quite a bit of enrichment.

So it's used in the opening speed of the throttle. And mainly at low rpm seams to cause a lean backfire.

• Member For: 9y 10m 3d

Hi P

40 minutes ago, HI PSI said:

Is this mostly used in light throttle applications, or across the range?  Also, how do you work out exactly where the enrichment is needed, and by how much? Is it a by feel? Or can it be identified when logging with a wideband?

Hi Psi it is used on all throttle application (sudden throttle application) and sometimes can be a tedious process, usually and I say usally above 4000 rpm no throttle pump is needed or very little is need and as we go backwards down the RPM range more is needed .Some widebands can capture it depending on how quick they respond and positioned in the pipe the closer up,front the better. 

And  like someone has mention just previously it's like the accelerator pump on a carby if you look down a carby you will see the pump squirt fuel down the throat same principal accept in the EFI world that figure that's inserted in transient pump is then added to your base iIDC. Hope this helps a bit

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 19d

Hey guys, So looks like I'll be joining the DIY tuning ranks soon. Not that im going to be starting (I can't anyway, long story) from scratch but more using what Ive currently got as a baseline to improve on. 

I have been looking and it is cheaper to buy direct from hptuners in the states then the local disty. Is there any potential problems buying it direct? I really need the beer and wife bribing money!