Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 26d

ID had issues with the ID1500's back in the day. No issues these days with any of their range. They are considered (rightly) the premium Injector for performance applications.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 8y 10m 21d

*forewarning* Total tuning noob!!

So I have been looking around at flash tuner options for my 08 FG xr6t ute, originally was going to go the well trodden Xcal route but they seem very expensive for a limited use glovebox ornament.

So started looking at Sniper or HP Tuners, leaning more towards the Sniper unit as it a bit more basic and suits my home tinkering ambitions.

Been watching and reading as much as I can about the Sniper but it all seems to be US Mustang examples, I know fuel/timing etc can be adjusted with the Sniper but can it control boost in the FG?

• Member For: 9y 10m 10d

Sniper generally has more tables than hp tuners, hp has zf tables though.

I would go hp tuners personally as they will add new parameters in and whilst it is slow and often average they do have support. The scanning software on HPT is also pretty good.

• Member For: 11y 3m 5d

Sniper has more parameters but cannot do the ZF and TMAP/Boost sensors and I don't think it can do DMR scanning like HPT and SCT. It also allows you to store the tunes in the flash tuner so that you could have an e85 tune and a 98 tune. Sniper interface is, supposedly, less user friendly.

HPT does all of this except storing tunes on the flash device and is reasonable for the FG . It also has a great tune compare function. It is not as good for the BA/BF but Eric (HPT) says he is going to get back to these soon.

Both Sniper and HPT read the calibration from the PCM.

SCT does not support home tuners.

I would recommend HPT as at least you can log what is happening and compare what has changed between your tunes and others, even across different platforms. Have a look through Jet tuning pages to get some ideas on its capabilities. 

Thanks for the replies, I'm on the HP Tuners forum so will do a heap more reading.
I do like the idea of being able to log what is happening and see how one tune compares to another. No need for multiple tunes so HP probably does suit me more.

Edited by Mr_Mike

Does anyone have a screenshot or a pic of what injector slope looks like? maybe a stock to a modified one?

I am trying to get my head around what it actually looks like in a tuning program.

I kinda understand what the hi/lo slope and breakpoint represents but seeing comments saying increase/decrease hi-slope, I'm finding it hard to actually grasp what changes.