Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 9y 9m 21d

Ok so I have my wideband installed and operating. Reads about ~14.7 - 15:1 at idle and the mixtures seem ball park from the logs I've done. Any tests people recommend for ensuring it is reading accurate? I've done a calibration and checked the voltage out of my unit with a calibrated Fluke multimeter, the XCAL logs about ~0.05v lower than it reads which I can account for. ~0.1 AFR lower than it should be which is probably well within its accuracy.

Next step is I'm going to plug in ID1000 data into my "stock" tune which I've compared to various other stock tunes. The only things that were changed (previous heinrich tune) is less ignition timing, knock retard, boost control and injector slopes. I've set all of these back to stock (except ignition).

The injector data (ID1000) spreadsheet has inputs for base fuel pressure. According to the workshop manual the fuel pressure should be 400 kPa which is 58 psi. Plugging this into the spread sheet gives the following numbers:

Breakpoint 0.000027 lb/cyc

Hi Slope 114.374 lb/h

Lo Slope 126.07 lb/h

Min pulse width 0.272 ms

Does this look correct? Also could someone explain the offset/flowrate vs pressure multipliers? The spreadsheet says they should all be 1. I'm guessing you would utilise these if your injectors did not have a linear flow rate?

The existing data that the previous tuner put in makes no sense, looks like they just randomly adjusted the low and high slopes then set the base fuel map to a really lean number??? They left the offset vs voltage and pressure stock as well despite being told all the data was on IDs website.

http://injectordynamics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ID1000-Ford-Characterization-Tables-8-6-14.xls

Edited by rollex

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

Sorry if it has been stated earlier, but I can't remember.. Is yours BA, BF or FG?

The file your using as "stock" is the stock file from the x3? Or are you using the Heinrich file and just put all the values back to stock from another stock compare file?

This will affect my response

Sorry if it has been stated earlier, but I can't remember.. Is yours BA, BF or FG?

The file your using as "stock" is the stock file from the x3? Or are you using the Heinrich file and just put all the values back to stock from another stock compare file?

This will affect my response

BF MK2, I've compared my "stock" heinrich file (extracted via XCAL4 return to stock function) to other Mk2 stock files from the repository (both auto and manual). I then carefully looked at the differences between my file and various stock files to understand what he had modified. It appears almost nothing was changed other than injector data, base fuel map, boost control, 1 ignition map and knock retard settings.

Edited by rollex

Alright, no problems,

Yep your AFR readings seem quite standard, what sort of LTFT and STFT were you seeing?

If you have performed the correct free air calibration on the sensor you should be pretty safe to rely on it, is it placed in the dump pipe or at the tail pipe?

But yep, plug the injector data in that you have listed, also the voltage offset table, no need to touch the pressure offset tables

Also take some timing out of the higher load ranges of the boarderline knock table as a start

What dump pipe, cat, exhaust, wastegate combo do you have?

Then refer back to my post on the HP forum, about altering your slopes etc to achieve your desired Lambda

Edited by Peppy_t92

Alright, no problems,

Yep your AFR readings seem quite standard, what sort of LTFT and STFT were you seeing?

If you have performed the correct free air calibration on the sensor you should be pretty safe to rely on it, is it placed in the dump pipe or at the tail pipe?

But yep, plug the injector data in that you have listed, also the voltage offset table, no need to touch the pressure offset tables

Also take some timing out of the higher load ranges of the boarderline knock table as a start

What dump pipe, cat, exhaust, wastegate combo do you have?

I haven't actually downloaded that data yet, I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before wasting time. Currently I'm just working out what I will be using as my "base" and working onwards from there.

I'll be pulling a fairly massive amount of timing out until I have some knock ears, I also won't be doing any on boost runs as I don't fancy pulling the motor out. Would you say dropping another 5 degrees out of all the upper columns (0.9 upwards) should be safe for now?

Here is the ignition map from a stock ECU at the top, and the "stock" one I have. The AFR correction timing map has had about 8 degrees added to the richer AFR column at high rpm. Does this add or subtract timing? (can view the file in an earlier post if you are curious).

4haIKFH.png

I have 4" dump with advance cat (tiny thing that does nothing), exforce centre and stock rear and a stock waste gate with the stage 2 process west intercooler.

Installed the wideband about 1m from the turbo exit just after the curve at the bottom.

Then refer back to my post on the HP forum, about altering your slopes etc to achieve your desired Lambda

I know why he has done it, however with known good data why not just use it and adjust the base fuel map. Surely that would be less work and it is definitely less of a "hack" method of doing so.

The "stock" tune backfires and pops like hell where as the current SCT one doesn't at all.

Edited by rollex

What fuel pump?

How much timing to take out really depends on the boost level you intend to run, a good dump and de-cat with the std actuator will see a spike of 18-19psi and level off to 15-16psi max... 5* is quite a lot to take out but that's up to you..

The AFR correction table also has a multiplier table of 0.1 or so I believe, so it's never adding or subtracting the full values in the correction tables... Same goes for the rest of the correction/multiplier tables.. Some people leave this std, some zero out the positive values, some zero out the complete table.. Changes need to be made elsewhere to compensate either way

The base fuel map is not a VE table, it's a Desired fuel table, so what you want to target... Set this to reflect the lambda you desire..

you can then either alter the slopes to achieve very close to this desired fueling or alter the speed density tables, we have been through this before

The stock tune pops and backfires because of the stock injector data with the ID1000's?

Walbro 460L/hr I think, either way it is f*cking noisy!

Ok well I'm going to plug the data in and see how the ratios look with closed loop disabled, will then enable it and see what the trims look like.

Just logged the heinrich tune vs the SCT. The one heinrich did runs about 18:1 on deaccel so pops, the SCT one runs 15:1

Anyway see how I go cheers.

Plugged everything in, disabled long term and short term trims. It is lean at 16:1 everywhere. How do I check what lambda is being commanded in livelink? Can't find anything that looks like commanded lambda. I've set base fuel map to 0.85 everywhere, Any ideas where you would start?

Attached the tune if people have time

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h0hw0erti4rayh/Base%20Tune%20-%20Stock%20boost%20map%2025-8-15.hpt?dl=0

edit: Used VCM scanner instead and it shows it is commanding 1.00 lambda for some reason

Edited by rollex

I don't use livelink, but if you have set your base table to 0.85 then it's mega lean.. Drop your Low slope to like 110 and put your base fuel table back to standard but change the values in the bottom right to 0.8-0.82 or so