Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m

A knocksense MS module feeding into the MVPI would be my choice for a budget knock detection arrangement. It can also drive a warning LED. But it has the same basic issue as all the cheaper version, no built in signal condition or rpm compensation. But better than a piece of tube IMHO

http://www.viatrack.ca/

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 23d

I don't think any of us do this for anything other than a hobby ( just like you ). $1000 for a professional knock detection solution is just a good way of spending money for something I could never replicate to the specific way the big name items can and anything I create in my spare time will be very sub par ie (hook up headphones to the stock sensors/a microphone or use det cans.)

You do this for a hobby so you have never recovered that money and I understand that you had a reputation to show what we could do to a professional level, Also if you pop a motor From sub par hardware we would all look at you like a muppet and understand why every tuner needs correct tools we are all tuning our own cars so we can make the call but know right from wrong ( apparently) as anyone writing this and thinking they know otherwise really does not possess the knowledge required for accurate and precise tune .

FTFY

• Member For: 16y 6m 2d

I'm not pretending or fooling myself thinking I'm tuning my car to a professional level I know it's a hack job but the car cost 4 grand and is nothing more than a toy to play and learn with. Dropping hundreds of dollars on things I might use once or twice just doesnt make sense. I don't take it that seriously its just a falcon. I could use that money to fix the gaping rust hole in the rear quarter

• Member For: 21y 24d

When tuning in the 90s we used our ears. We just worried about the pinking/pinging we heard and all was good.

Using the hose might work for some. Even a microphone of some sort with earmuffs.

I would just wait for the HP TUners datalogging that should have knock logging soon.

• Member For: 9y 10m 15d

I would just wait for the HP TUners datalogging that should have knock logging soon.

The SCT doesn't have knock logging currently either I don't believe? Other than looking at the spark adder how will you know from this?

Like said above apparently it detects phantom knock anyway.

• Gold Donating Members

Knowledge is the ability to do things...then quickly later

If you never truly know first up how will you safely take the quick path later, all the info is there you just need to piece it together....

Back in the 90's we weren't making 500fwhp with very simple parts and custom tuning

We are now

So yes it's all basics but with a modern twist

Get on or get left behind ..... I mean rolly just worked out intercoolers "actually work"

Mind blown

I understand you might have a sh*tter and want to "hack it" and that's cool but for the love of god know what your expecting first with doing things the right way first especially when it comes to the thing that will lunch an engine faster than basically any other parameters

• Member For: 21y 24d

I reread the posts. As I said I have always tuned timing via hearing. The problem lies in pinpointing the part of the timing map that needs adjustment and to do that you need some sort of datalogging where knock is datalogged against boost/rpm/load. So to get around the phantom knock a more dedicated knock box would help along with some sort of hearing device to back up what is going on.

So you can do a tube setup which I think would work, but it will only put you in the approximate area of adjustment.

Get on or get left behind ..... I mean rolly just worked out intercoolers "actually work"

Mind blown

you ever heard of bedside manner? : p

Ralph Wiggum, on 21 Sept 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

A knocksense MS module feeding into the MVPI would be my choice for a budget knock detection arrangement. It can also drive a warning LED. But it has the same basic issue as all the cheaper version, no built in signal condition or rpm compensation. But better than a piece of tube IMHO

http://www.viatrack.ca/

What product do you use ralph?

Edited by rollex

• Gold Donating Members

If you're taking my posts as anything but helpful you're reading it wrong

Like your knock sensors........

If you're taking my posts as anything but helpful you're reading it wrong

Like your knock sensors........

No I definitely do appreciate the advice I was just taking the piss at your "mind blown" lol