Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 9y 10m 16d
Put it through the drivers side kick panel, just opened the grommet up a bit and taped it up after. Managed to snap my bonnet release taking the panel off though which is annoying, hopefully super glue will solve that one.

Used the blue connector for power

• Member For: 16y 6m 3d

I have a manual and I just pushed the wiring through next to the clutch hose.

I tried the hose and earmuffs setup under the recommendation of a tuner and I couldn't hear a thing. It was useless I don't know how he tunes like that. I can't really afford a pro knock monitoring tool so I have a ghetto setup with a stock knock sensor with wiring attached that I plug into my laptop so I can record and listen to it at the the same time. It is horrendous to listen to put it works surprisingly well considering it cost nothing. Obviously a professional tuner should have a proper kmon or whatever but for diy it gets the job done

Apparently the hose makes a huge difference. You need a really hard inflexible piece of tubing otherwise it absorbs the sound. What did you use?

• Member For: 16y 6m 3d

From what I have heard a lot of the proper knock monitoring tools use the same bosch sensor but they have filtering to make it clearer and software to draw you a pretty graph. It's a similar concept just very simplified and cheaper

Womend Bellbat, on 21 Sept 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

Wow just wow guys

I don't think any of us do this for anything other than a hobby. $1000 for a professional knock detection solution is just a waste of money for something I would do in my spare time when I can hook up headphones to the stock sensors/a microphone or use det cans.

You do this for money so you easily recover that money and not only that you have a reputation to protect. Also if you pop a motor it isn't yours, we are all tuning our own cars so we can make the call.

Edited by rollex
  • Like 1