Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 29d

I was under the impression the factory ecu relies heavily on the knock sensors and they do a great job. I believe you cant log this well enough to be accurate though.

This is only what I've read of HP forums though.

• Member For: 21y 20d

Regarding knock, I don't know about BF (which I believe you are running) but I do know with FG.

Just for fun I left the stock timing map in running 15psi in my 2 min tune. It pulls the timing down to 2 deg, not a pink. Does the job very well. I have put about 10 to 15 % toluene and I get full commanded timing.

To tune properly you would turn knock control off and use a knock box of some sort .

Otherwise you can datalog timing and determine a little of what is going on there, You may have to zero out a few compensation table to get a better picture though.

Edited by turbotrana

• Member For: 21y 20d

Regarding your fueling question. Just aim for one air/fuel ratio and be done with it. You are trying to tune to fine tolerances with non-live tuning. It is too difficult in my opinion.

With aftermarket programmable EFI we have the luxury of being able to do what you propose easily, but not here.

Edited by turbotrana

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 16d

The Holdens use the "Load (MAP) vs RPM" Speed Density (VE) table approach, which is alot easier to calibrate, more resolution means Desired AFR's are more common.. But it too follows a "Desired Equivalency Ratio" table, then a "Power Enrichment" (WOT) table when over a certain TP which is set to around 50% from factory.. So maybe ford hasn't got it too wrong?

I personally haven't needed to alter the SD tables as I'm achieving Desired AFR's even with a ported head, and manifolds, gtx35/82... but it might be different for the small turbo FG guys that have opted for the larger BA/BF/ FG F6 turbo

• Member For: 18y 9m 11d

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?40187-Tuning-the-Speed-Density-section-on-Ford

Someone mentioned the high res speed density tables above....The Blackoak PCM uses the low res tables. Spanish Oak uses the high res.

Edited by IH8TOADS

• Member For: 9y 10m 11d

Yep mine has the high resolution tables. So anther question, if I have only changed injectors and front mount and get the injectors dialled in correctly why do I need to adjust the speed density tables? Shouldn't they still be accurate for the engine /cams and deliver commanded afr.

Edited by rollex

• Member For: 11y 16d

Rollex, go over all our previous posts, that is what we have been suggesting.. If your achieving your desired fueling there's no need

Edited by Peppy_t92
  • Like 1

• Member For: 9y 10m 11d

Rollex, go over all our previous posts, that is what we have been suggesting.. If your achieving your desired fueling there's no need

Yeah I just got thrown by people saying a "full SD tune" is a lot of work. It sounds like I don't need to do much at all if the factory maps are spot on for my changes.

It also sounds like I can achieve my richer at higher boost just by doing the good old injector slope hacking. If I get everything spot on at the boost I want, then I can increase the injector slope slightly to get effectively a rising rate.

To be honest it sounds pretty easy to do all of this, sounds like easy money for some of the big workshop tuners!

Now it is time to start reading about the spark side of things as I think I understand how the fueling works now.

edit: Is there anyway to increase the resolution of the TPS vs RPM map?

What model is yours rolled? If your actual and desired lambda are ballpark, don't waste your time.

Manual BF xr6t november 2006 build. Does this change much?

Edited by rollex
  • Like 1