Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 11y 2m 15d

Joe (HoonTune) has finished his testing of the custom tunes and reported back. Great news it is working perfectly:dancing: 

1. He now has a car with wild cams driving perfectly (MAP being used instead of Cam Angle to clean up fueling)
  2. Custom Gear Based Boost control is being used on car with over 1000RWHP to get hook up in the lower gears on the street tyres and getting full boost/power in the higher gears. Note the factory calibration does not support it gear based boost control (it is a MK II FG turbo 6 and it is not running the XR6 Sprint calibration). 

Pretty happy with the result, now any Falcon can have Gear Based Boost control and much more.

• Like 5

• Member For: 9y 9m 20d
13 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

@DarrylC Have you guys decided on a price to add this feature to the professional version?

The current license cost per car is 3 credits ($150)

Our initial plans are custom operating systems will cost 5 credits ($250) to license.

The breakdown is 1 credit to flash read/write regardless of operating system. Edit cost is either 2 or 4 credits.

If you already have licensed a car and want to upgrade to a custom OS is just the difference in credits (providing the original OSID is the same, eg a custom version of HACCK that you have already licensed would only be an additional 2 credits, if you want to move from HACCK to a custom version of HACH3 it would be an additional 4 credits).

Workshop and professional will have access to custom operating systems. Anyone who has Enthusiast can upgrade to Professional or Workshop for the cost difference if they decide they want to later on. A few of our customers have already done this as they decided they wanted to tune their ZF.

Currently we are doing custom operating systems manually whilst we working on automating the UI side. Eventually the UI will allow you to select which axis/DMR input you want for a table, this will give you a lot of control. We may re-evaluate the costing later once we get some more feedback and see how much work it is for us to support, though at the moment it is looking like we will be able to automate everything meaning the support side of things shouldn't increase too much for us.

Once we get out of beta testing all of this we will put the official pricing on the website, however currently it is unlikely to change from the above.

Edited by rollex

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

Thanks for the reply.

That looks like a fair way to go about it, as it provides cost effective upgrade pathways for existing customers that decide they want more features.

• Member For: 9y 11m 6d
On 4/13/2018 at 10:56 AM, DarrylC said:

Joe (HoonTune) has finished his testing of the custom tunes and reported back. Great news it is working perfectly:dancing: 

1. He now has a car with wild cams driving perfectly (MAP being used instead of Cam Angle to clean up fueling)
  2. Custom Gear Based Boost control is being used on car with over 1000RWHP to get hook up in the lower gears on the street tyres and getting full boost/power in the higher gears. Note the factory calibration does not support it gear based boost control (it is a MK II FG turbo 6 and it is not running the XR6 Sprint calibration). 

Pretty happy with the result, now any Falcon can have Gear Based Boost control and much more.

Would love to know what @Peppy_t92 is modifying on the VCT gears to give him full cam control for large cams.

I have a set of TBRE stage3's I want to put in and have tuned with PCMTec but being in Melbourne not Sydney makes me reluctant to go with anyone down here who hasn't figured it out yet :ermm:

Most of the workshops that have our software are actually in Vic (list on the website). Speak to Joe first though, I'm sure he will be able to help you out with someone interstate. 

The stuff that helps with the bigger cams is taming the overlap down low/at idle which you can't currently modify with other software. A lot of workshops have previously locked the cams with verniers to get acceptable performance from big cams. Personally I think that is throwing away a lot of midrange torque as the dual independent VCT makes a huge difference compared to locked cams. Though it is definitely easier to tune, especially if you have an old VCT system that isn't working correctly. 

Edited by rollex
  • Like 1

• Member For: 9y 11m 6d

I agree there, it's a waste to not take advantage of the dual independent VCT with any camshaft, factory or larger.

I have looked at the list of workshops in VIC, Pitlane and Maxx Performance are close to me.

It's more the time spent on R&D on setting up VCT with large cams. I know Joe has spent the time and from what I see has gotten it sorted out now. Not sure if any of the VIC shops have done the same as I don't think the demand has been as large down here.

There is a good reason why people lock the cams, the effort to dial in the speed density maps is about 100x less. If they aren't your cams, it isn't worth the R&D effort to get the VCT working with a drivable result. As unless you are reselling those cams regularly you will never recoup your R&D costs. Though if you do spend the time to get the VCT working, there are good gains to be had.

To explain the difficulty in doing it from scratch it takes 3 engineers at Ford 25 weeks to dial in their tunes.

Edited by rollex
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 11y 2m 15d

We are now getting a lot closer to the custom operating systems being released.  We are still getting our workshop testers to send us the tune to customise.  Final testing is being done on the gear based boost control on automatics at wide open throttle (WOT). This is due to Driver Demand gear not being calculated at WOT. 

The feature that is working really nicely is the fitting of the 4 bar boost sensor and using the stock TMAP sensor instead of replacing it with the 4bar TMAP. PCMTec will switch over from the TMAP at a configurable voltage and use the boost sensor as the MAP reading. This has fixed a bunch of issues and massively improved drive ability. Closed loop boost control still works as well as decel fuel cut. Been a real time saver for tuners as well.

Will keep the forum updated.

Edited by DarrylC
Tunes changed to Operating systems, we are not tuning
  • Like 3