Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 9y 10m 12d

What don't you find suitable? It is a fairly standard policy for selling anything, eg collecting name/address for billing purposes. Email for registration so we can contact you regarding updates to the software. Google analytics (95% of websites use this) for tracking website performance (this collects IP etc so we can see demographics of who is using the website).

The third parties are eway (who handles processing the credit card information) and xero (our accounting software) which would log your transaction details. This is the same as using ebay/paypal etc. These companies are PCI compliant and it is much more secure to have them store this information that us. They are regularly audited for security etc.

Let me know what your concerns are, hopefully we can address them.

Edited by rollex

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

First I'll point out that it is necessary to enter your full name, address, phone number date of birth and email to register an account and or purchase software. While I'm happy for this to go to a business to keep track of customers etc, I'm not happy for the business to be passing on my personally identifiable information.

Here is part that can be interpreted as personal information being passed on to third parties for the purpose of marketing aka spam.

" to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information sent by, or on behalf of, our business partners that we think you may find interesting;

to administer rewards, surveys, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by us or our business partners; "

Also disclosing information to;

" our existing or potential agents, business partners or partners;

our sponsors or promoters of any competition that we conduct via our services with your express consent;

anyone to whom our assets or businesses (or any part of them) are transferred;"

I don't want my personal information given to potential partners or sponsors or financially invested parties.

"We may disclose personal information outside of Australia if it is necessary to provide the services offered on our website.

When you provide your personal information to us, you consent to the disclosure of your information outside of Australia and acknowledge that we are not required to ensure that overseas recipients handle that personal information in compliance with Australian Privacy Law."

With all due respect there is nothing you can do when it comes to overseas parties handling information once they are in possession of it.

"While we do not use browsing information to identify you personally, we may record certain information about your use of our website, such as which pages you visit, the time and date of your visit and the internet protocol address assigned to your computer.

We may also use 'cookies' or other similar tracking technologies on our website that help us track your website usage and remember your preferences. Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone or other device. They enable the entity that put the cookie on your device to recognise you across different websites, services, devices and/or browsing sessions. You can disable cookies through your internet browser but our websites may not work as intended for you if you do so.

We may also use cookies to enable us to collect data that may include personal information. For example, where a cookie is linked to your account, it will be considered personal information under the Privacy Act. We will handle any personal information collected by cookies in the same way that we handle all other personal information as described in this Privacy Policy."

That is directly contradictory. You are saying in one sentence that you aren't using browsing info to personally identify people yet you are using cookies that will personally identify people which can then be passed onto third parties with the added info that this contains. 

Apart from the merch side of things and the analytics there should be no third party involvement where personally identifiable details are concerned. The privacy statement can be interpreted as every piece of information given to you can and will be given to third parties inclusive but not limited to eway and xero as you mentioned above.

I've updated it. We would absolutely under no circumstances pass your information on to third parties other than the two listed. Eway will get you details when you enter in your CC details (like paypal etc all do). Xero will get your details from eway for the purposes of generating an invoice and that is it.

We won't ever send you marketing information, that was lawyer speak which was from the template they have used. I've removed it.

The only people who will see your personal information are us, eway and xero. Both of these companies are Australian based, though I'm sure they operate servers out of the US so technically it could leave Australia in an encrypted format. I will make this more explicit.

We don't use cookies beyond identifying your browser and giving you a login token. Technically these could personally identify you in some circumstances however we do not use them in this fashion nor is this the intent.

Google analytics collects geographical data from your IP address, they also use your existing tracked information from advertising providers, we don't do this, google already do it and they correlate it to provide us with anonymous browsing stats. We don't collect or store this, they do. This information is anonymous, however if someone was attempting to track you, they could possibly do so, though this would be directly against their own privacy policy and definitely not our intent.

I'm sure we can make the wording less broad and will give it another review over the coming days.

TLDR; We won't send anything to anyone other than eway/xero. In the future we may use something like zendesk so they would receive your name/email only to track support requests.

We won't send you spam or marketing ever. We will send you emails notifying you of updates available that you can opt out of with the "news letter" function.

• Like 3

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Receiving a newsletter or other  marketing/info from a business with an unsubscribe option is expected and often not unwanted or intrusive when registering with them.

Google analytics are as you say and are a part of life for almost everyone whether they are aware of it or not.

As you can see the parts I took issue with were the open ended third party inclusions.

Thanks for clarifying and sorting it out :spoton:

On 11/16/2017 at 3:53 PM, rollex said:

TLDR

Haha, ironic.

It's funny because almost no one ever takes the time to read these items. Have a read of our EULA as well if you have time, you see it when you install the software and when your run it for the first time.

EULA.pdf

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
2 hours ago, rollex said:

Have a read of our EULA as well if you have time

I found the website that the bulk of it was copy pasted from.

I've had a quick read through the link you posted and while it is comprehensible I think it is unnecessarily complicated and could be made more "friendly".

There are some grammatical errors and at least one spelling error that I picked up.

One quick thing I noticed is that the "grant of license" is for "skilled mechanics". The term skilled is arbitrary as a "mechanic" would have at least 4 years of apprentice skill up their sleeve. On that note, the term "mechanic" implies a qualified mechanic which does not seem to be the target audience for the "enthusiast" or "professional" licenses.

I'd be happy to go through it in depth when I have more time and send over corrections/suggestions if you guys like?

• Member For: 11y 3m 7d
34 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

On that note, the term "mechanic" implies a qualified mechanic which does not seem to be the target audience for the "enthusiast" or "professional" licenses.

I'd be happy to go through it in depth when I have more time and send over corrections/suggestions if you guys like?

Puffwagon, thank you for the feedback, greatly appreciated. We took the advice from the lawyers to it will probably be legal speak.

For information of the DIY Tuner forum:

• Enthusiast is at a tuning level just beyond what HP Turners offers, does not include ZF tuning and costs $300 + GST
  • Professional is at a tuning level beyond what SCT offers for both the PCM and the ZF (Editing working, flashing under development), $600 + GST
  • Workshop is effectively OEM level tuning with extensions they do not have. Not for sale just yet.
  • PCMTec reads the calibrations from the car,like HP Tuners and Sniper. Does not have their limitations in determining the calibration.
  • Demo version is Workshop level
  • Like 2