Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 24d

@rollex I'm incredibly interested, I never dreamt I would live in a world with falcon live tuning, that would be the dream. If you need anymore prototype cars let me know.

• Member For: 9y 9m 20d

Anything is possible, you just need enough time and money! HP Tuners said live tuning would not be economical and when they did it for GM the profit from it was a fraction of what they get elsewhere and hence dropped it.

As they only offered it for one strategy I can see why it was not economical, however if I can write an automated routine to patch any strategy automatically, then suddenly it does become profitable so hopefully it is something we can implement down the road.

• Like 3

You can't so you do something tricky instead.

Basically the code references the flash ROM to read the tables and determine the output values. What you do is change the ROM references to RAM. You then insert an init routine that copies the old ROM tables to the RAM at startup.

Then when the engine is running your write to the RAM, the changes won't be persistent though so you then need to do a full write afterwards when you are happy.

edit: You could also write random values and possibly crash the PCM, so there would need to be lots of thought put into it.

Edited by rollex
  • Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

as a programmer, I'd never want to be multi-threading with randomly accessible memory and read-only memory simultaneously (which is essentially what you're saying there) as you're almost guaranteed to have issues unless the OS you're working within keenly controls the RAM allocation/de-allocation/re-allocation...

There's no "allocation" as such, it's all stored on the heap well out of range of typical usage. Eg you set it at startup and it doesn't change.

Also its entirely single threaded.

Edited by rollex

Of course the desktop application isn't single threaded. The MPC565 however is single core, hence there will be no common deadlock issues. Eg everything happens synchronously, eg they get time splices, its not possible for two things to access the same piece of RAM at the same time, hence there will be no issues.

Eg the PCM reads a table, then the UDS command handler routine comes in with new data and updates the RAM, then PCM then reads the updated RAM.

This isn't like programming for a PC, it is embedded programming. The issues you are talking about do not exist.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yeah, that makes sense... good luck with the live tuning component - it will make you a ton of money if you can get it to work (as tuners will love to say they can't live tune, but then live tune it and charge the same amount and do 5-10x as many tunes :P ), so it'll be worth any time you spend on it (as long as that time leads to success, of course)