Diy Tuning

Ralph Wiggum

• Member For: 10y 2m 12d

Hey guys, 

I've bought an unmarried sct x4 for my wife's turbo Terry and I'm trying to find the software to tune it myself. 

After collecting some logs I noticed how retarded the factory ign adv is and afr's of 11.7 @ only 6psi is bloody fat imo. 

Can this tuning software be had for free anywhere otherwise where is the cheapest place to buy it? 

Cheers in advance boys

Edited by inline_6

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Last I checked if you own a dyno shop or the like then you can license the software.

You will have to take it to a tuner for a custom tune mate.

Imo sell it on and buy hptuners or similar if you want to tune it yourself. 

@rollex is designing some custom software currently that just needs a interface cable. 

His software is free at this stage.

• Like 1

• Member For: 9y 9m 20d
5 hours ago, inline_6 said:

So a non sct dealer cannot access it at all??

Not even a hack of some type?

Possibly. Don La sota seemed to think he could get an aussie version but it would be a few grand. I would stick with hp tuners, cheaper and it can actually be bought. 

I'll have some software out this year, unsure of timing but it will be cheaper than both the existing options by quite a large margin. 

Edited by rollex
  • Like 2

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d

You're going for live tuning also @rollex ??? 

If you are I think I'll wait till you drop yours. I dare say it would be much more noob friendly than the other options available. 

• Member For: 10y 2m 12d
3 hours ago, rollex said:

Possibly. Don La sota seemed to think he could get an aussie version but it would be a few grand. I would stick with hp tuners, cheaper and it can actually be bought. 

I'll have some software out this year, unsure of timing but it will be cheaper than both the existing options by quite a large margin. 

I gave Rob at Herrod a call yesterday and he told me the software could be bought for $3,500!

I'm used to using Haltech's etc and all this is for free, so having to pay for a base map it's just ridiculous. 

I had no idea 2 days ago that this would be the case so clearly I jumped the gun a little with this x4 thing with the intent of doing the job myself using it?

I actually looked at HP tuners because it integrates perfectly with my 2 channel lm2 and its analogue voltage input cable. 

Looks like I'll be going that route and good on you for making your own attempts at some software surely that can't be an easy task. ?

Edited by inline_6

2 hours ago, ROB83R said:

You're going for live tuning also @rollex ??? 

If you are I think I'll wait till you drop yours. I dare say it would be much more noob friendly than the other options available. 

I would like to down the track, initially I'll be offering live map tracing as this is still a huge improvement over guessing that what we are datalogging is actually what is being used by the map like we do currently. 

Live tuning is quite a bit of work and there is a lot of other basic stuff I need to get nailed first. 

Noob friendly is the goal, even experienced tuners can benefit from an intuitive ui with lots of help and explanations right in front of you. None of this reading 8000 forum threads to figure out where to start. That is the goal anyway, I'll do my best. 

• Like 7

Its about $1k delivered from memory. It is a good product to get started with and yes it will integrate with the territory.

15 minutes ago, inline_6 said:

Looks like I'll be going that route and good on you for making your own attempts at some software surely that can't be an easy task. ?

It's difficult but not any more so than any other large software project. 

The biggest challenge is simply the large amount of hours required to get it off the ground. For example I've spent the last month writing a web api to handle licensing and user data storage alone. It's just  a lot of grunt work researching the best way to do things so you don't waste time doing it twice. Probably be over 1000 hours in the alpha release alone. I doubt you'd see change from 200k if you paid a software company to do it for you, and that's before you bring in even a single dollar of revenue. The difference in time required between a professional product and backyard hack software is massive. Probably spent more time testing than I have coding, and that's with a lot of free community support with people testing out my early proof of concept flashing program, thanks again for everyone that has helped btw!

• Like 3