Air Shocks For Towing?

ceedot

• Member For: 10y 9m 28d

Hi all

just bought a (smallish) van to travel around and see this great country (again). My 09 FG XR6 Turbo (Auto) has just passed 160k with Bno problems except the rear of the car could do with a bit of an uplift to cope with the van weight. Have travelled from BatemansBay to Cairns no problems but for our next trip (across to Perth and then up and around Darwin) with the age of the vehicle, thought heavier air shocks might be the go.

Anyone in a similar position or thoughts on that?

By the way, great tow vehicle, you don't need a big fourbie to tow a reasonabily sized van (1600kg loaded), plenty of power for going up hills, overtaking slower vehicles etc. Try to sit around 95-100k and does it easy, just remember to use the tiptronic as a manual and keep the revs in the torque band around 1600-2000. Averaging 15-16 lt/100k on 95 premium fuel so far.

Off sightseeing now back later

Thanks for your interest

post-67982-0-43284200-1439600027_thumb.j

post-67982-0-96610100-1439600110_thumb.j

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 20d

YA!! Now Im not the only one on here.......up yours people!! Laugh at me and my Van.

Air Shocks are not needed mate. All you need is a weight distribution hitch best thing ever. I use one and highly recommended them.

You still can get stiffer springs with the same ride height which will reduce bounce over those crap coast roads.

If you need more if or a place to get a weight distribution hitch let me know and or if you would like to check out mine before you buy more than happy to help out. Wollongong area.

Im heading down to burrill lake in sept for week and half.

I agree sports shift (manual) mode is the only way to drive with the van on the back or that hill ahead you wont make it. Also the look on some of those big V8 4x4 drivers when you pass them up hill, priceless.

Here are some pics.

20150115_101126_zps3b4dc9e7.jpg

Hitch setup

20150109_165306_zps00801707.jpg

Ride height with hitch hooked up.

20150109_165256_zpsb64ffe75.jpg

Edited by Pixy Angel
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 10y 9m 28d

Thnx Pixy Angel

didn't notice your reply before as we have been travelling up to FNQ. Sounds like I should invest in a set asap

thanks for the feedback.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 22d

Was going to suggest the same, but it's been so long since I used the (XF in the late 90's) that I wasn't sure if things had changed since.

Would have called them "load levellers", but would probably also have been wrong doing that.

Either way - they worked an absolute treat back then.