Windows 10

discostig

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

General musings about my Windows 10 Experience so far, some tips for those trying to install or post installation..

Got bored again tonight, ended up finding two temporary installation folders in the root of C drive, one presumably from the proper system tray "Get Windows 10" app and another from the attempted forced install I'd done using the EXE you can download from the MS site.
Browsed the folders and found what looked like the setup disc contents in a (hidden) folder "C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Windows" and ran setup.exe...voila it's now installed , took about 30 minutes on my 8GB RAM/SSD/hex core AMD CPU system.
Got in OK, had to reinstall video card (second LCD not detected...grabbed latest nVidia for Win10, installed over the top) and wifi card drivers (old Win7 installer from DLink site, removed first then reinstalled as driver update failed to find it online), Foobar music player program needed to be told again which sound card to use.
I grabbed Produkey from nirsoft website and saved my Windows10 license code by emailing it to myself in case I feel like trying a fresh install (need key to do it from scratch, can't get key until you upgrade existing or buy it).

Things I recommend reading to avoid crap happening

Things you probably want to switch off:

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/inspiration/everything-you-need-disable-windows-10-0163552/

-I liked the ability to get updates from PCs on your local network but I disabled the sending of them back to other random PCs...this will only waste precious monthly Internet quota.

Was annoyed at the limited options in the wallpaper settings widget so googled and found this

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallpapers/comments/3fec2g/windows_10_random_wallpaper_slideshow/

the command:
control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper
I seem to have an issue with windows not appearing on top when they launch, for example browsing folders and highlighting one and pressing delete...the confirmation dialog appears BEHIND the explorer window...wasn't doing it before, will try a reboot...
Overall the OS seems OK so far though. Just lots of crap to turn off, generally based around cloud sharing of your settings and files across all the Microsoft devices you may or may not own. One drive automatically launching and wanting to upload all your files etc

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y 22d

that's.. sorta annoying, gotta love how everything's automatically set ON by default. Im upgrading the PC later this week with a few go fast bits and a fresh install of 10 so I'll see how it goes.

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 18d

Did try the installer but something happened......

So ran a fresh install from USB, only took 25min.

Everything works as it used to, just got to get rid of that one drive crap.

• Hench, but no longer shredded or tanned.
  • Member For: 17y 22d

Thanks for the heads up, why they'd think anyone would constantly want their files uploaded is anyones guess. If I wanted files uploaded id go and do it myself

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 25d

Installed on 3 Surface Pro's and my desktop PC last week.

MacBook and sons lappy to go

Not a single issue yet.

Even fixed up a couple of issues I was having with some hardware under 8.1

Onedrive - Love it. I know there's other ways to keep files synced, but no matter where I am now, or what PC/Lappy/Tablet/Phone I'm on the files I NEED access to are right there.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 10d

I ran the precheck on my 7 year old w7 lappy , cpu wasnt supported.

Pefect reason for a new machine so now surfing on the new lappy with lotsa go fast stuff. W10 download was silky smooth.

Off to check out stever's links.

Edited by hawlass
  • Like 1

• Donating Members

Re One Drive

Did a job the other week where the net was shockingly bad (ADSL) but it seemed to come and go. Eventually narrowed it down to OneDrive on a laptop trying to upload gigs of pictures through a tiny upload pipe, thus killing the web surfing ability of everything in the house. No rate limiting option in the home version the lady had (enterprise does, I think).

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Also lame coz Australian "broadband" speeds

I like the Win10 ability to auto colour your taskbar and whatnot based on the colour of your desktop wallpaper image, bit cool.

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 26d

My trend micro password manager has stopped on W10 - worked fine on W8.1

Haven't played on it much - but already hating all the installed apps. I don't care for Xbox apps etc

• Donating Members

Yeah I switched off the background loading of pretty much everything.