2003 Ba Stalling!

Nugget

• Member For: 8y 10m 13d

Hi Guys,

My BA XR6 2003 stalls sometimes when at idle, driving or slow speeds, not all the times but sometimes.

- Shudders

- Engine light comes on

- Stalls

- looses power

I have given the throttle body a decarb and disconnected the battery to allow it reset to factory settings however the issue is still there...

One of my mates said he thinks it might be the Oxygen Sensor or TPS?

its a common issue with the BA's, have any of you guys had this problem?

Any help would be great thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 8y 10m 1d

Nugget

I've got the same problem with my ute ( 03 BA turbo) but I always know when it's going to happen ( as it took 5 seconds to start when it was going happen down the road).

Question for you - have you got any blue tooth connections in your car? Ie hands free phone kit ?

I've had the Ford mechanic (twice) look at it to no success - ie no codes when hooked up to the diagnostic computer and they could not repeat the the stalling. But when I pick it up (after 9 days) It happened always later that day (both times).

I took the blue tooth connection offline and it hasn't happen since after a week. I'm still out on this one

I,ve had the O2 valve look at, thrilled control and replaced the spark plugs. And it's not any of those items.

SAF

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 22d

Some early BA's had issues with the cam solinod getting gummed up I believe. They stuck and started a bad idle which got worse until a stall. They released a flash that purged the cams on startup which fixed the issue iirc Only had issues at slower speeds too.

Only other thing I can think would be coils breaking down??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 25d

We have had a BA wagon from 95000km till now at 225000km.

It's hard to remember when it happened (maybe 180000km? ) but when the coils became unreliable the car would occasionally give a very sharp hicup or stall at idle. It also lost power above 100kph on the freeway. The engine became very flat if I tried to accelerate to 110kph.

How old are the coil packs?

I bought cheap ebay coils and the car was great for a short time, but they stopped working fairly quickly. They were replaced with genuine ones and the car has been fine since.

Edit: I also got an OBD reader and there were no codes when the ebay coils stopped working.

Edited by xr6tForMe