Rear Diff Upgrade/options?

tommo224

• Member For: 8y 11m 17d

Hey guys,

It's a bit tough finding some information on this, as well as understanding it when you have no idea how it all works..

So it seems my car has some kind of "whirr" noise when cruising around 80km/h and above.. From my reading, it most likely is my rear diff (currently at 160,000km - was apparently replaced at 100,000km).

In any case, is there a newer model that I could replace mine with, one that is tougher or would last longer? Or an upgrade I can do if it goes or before it goes?

Or am I better off doing a rebuild and leaving it standard, or finding a new one of the same model instead.

There seems to be a few companies that sell FPVs as scrap so I could pick up a newer model from one of those places, and use that instead? Like, does the FG Typhoon have a better diff?

Just trying to learn my options from the helpful folk that know what they're doing, as I have no idea. Very new to this..

My car:

2006 BF Typhoon 6sp Auto

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 10d

Depending on your budget I would look into getting your diff rebuilt and upgrading the centre to either a Truetrac or Wavetrac LSD. Both are mechanical LSD and will last a lot longer and require a lot less maintenance than the standard Ford POS. It would also handle a heap more power than the standard unit and the back of your car would hook up a whole lot better. I'd also replace the diff bushes with some of the Super Pro Polylast diff bushes while the rear cradle is out...oh and get some gusseting/welding done on the diff cradle while it's out. Do all of those things and you'll never have to drop the cradle on your car again!

Budget around $2.5-3k for the truetrac/wavetrac (this includes purchase, rebuild and install). Bushes won't cost much to get fitted while the cradle is out (this is the expensive and time consuming bit).

• Member For: 16y 10d

..Both are mechanical LSD and will last a lot longer and require a lot less maintenance than the standard Ford POS. ..

I would argue that..

My cars had 400rwkw for about 3 years.. and more recently, 450rwkw for the last ~6 months... My diff has held up quite well in that time.

I don't nanny drive it, but I do maintain it very well. It is loosening up, but its done well for the life its had, and power it was matched to run with.

Weather or not the same diff in my FG F6 is used in the BF F6.. I'm not sure, but they have a decent driveline from stock.

TOMMO224,

If your chasing bigger numbers in the future.. upgrade... if your content with <400rwkw.. get a nice tight / good condition 2nd hand FPV replacement.

My 2 cents..

• Member For: 8y 11m 17d

Thanks fellas!

So looks like, regardless, it's going to be an expensive thing.. I don't want to "cheap out", but I also don't want to unnecessarily pay a lot more than I need to!

Also I don't plan on having over 400kw lol. I don't have the financial backup to accomplish such a feat!

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 10d

Stripes had one bad experience with an aftermarket part that has tarnished his opinion of all ford diffs forever.

TWO bad experiences...thank you very much :wild:

Not enough suede around the diff housing for stripey..

Never enough suede for stripey...

Edited by .Stripes.

• Member For: 15y 9m 6d

Stripes had one bad experience with an aftermarket part that has tarnished his opinion of all ford diffs forever.

The condom broke when he was in the back seat with someone?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

just an FYI, all 6 speed auto diff's are identical - 2.73 ratio LSD (except G6 models, some are not LSD). You don't need to go out of your way to source a FPV specific diff replacement.