2007 Fpv Tornado Ute - Tinkering & Setup

• Member For: 15y 9m 1d
24 minutes ago, eff xr6t said:

Wouldn't even need to change the tune to get it registered its only intake piping and exhaust.

To get it passed without an emissions test requires the standard intake plenum to be on the car.  No problem, I've got one from an old taxi motor (it's the same plenum across all the Falcons). 

But, then there's the issue of piping from the standard location of the throttle body (ie in the middle of the engine bay) to the front corner of the engine bay (where the intercooler outlet is).  

I recently bought a Plazmaman HP800 intercooler kit out of Gumtree.   That intercooler normally works with the throttle body in the standard location, so I could use that piping to at least get close to the existing intercooler HP1000 outlet.  

I keep flipping back and forth between setting it back to standard for an inspection, or getting it engineered.  Getting it engineered has the benefits of making it semi-legal (ie at least on paper), which also helps to ensure that any possible insurance claims won't get stuffed around.   Unlikely, but engineering would help to cover that one.

Putting it back to standard would have been the quickest and easiest way if I... a) had an Xcal with a standard tune, and b) had the skills to swap the Plazmaman intake plenum with the standard one.  With the Plazmaman plenum, the bolts are underneath and impossible for me to get to.   It's not a fun job, and tuning workshops are still busy in Perth at the moment so have been quoting astronomical prices for it.  

Getting through an emissions test should be a matter of putting on the standard dump pipe and catalytic converter, and then playing with HP Tuners and the emissions testing machine.  Not actually that hard... if you can get HP Tuners and an emissions machine together at the same time.  

Getting reliable information about passing an emissions test has been extremely difficult, and a lot of what I've been told by various people has been crap.  This has certainly helped to drag the process out a lot longer that it should have taken. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, k31th said:

was that test supposed to have happened?

If any of:

- intake manifold (ie throttle body onward)

- dump pipe

- catalytic converter

- tuning

change/changes from the factory standard/specifications then the car is required to go through an emissions test.  Apparently here in WA it's a 5-gas test, instead of a full emissions test.  I have no idea what the difference is, except that a 5-gas test is easier to pass than a full emissions test (that's what DOT told me).  

The intake manifold, dump pipe and cat converter are easy to spot.  Tuning can't be seen, so that one's easy to get away with (hence Tocchi's car not requiring testing).  

Ask around in Perth about emissions tests and you'll get fed crap from almost everyone.  Very frustrating.

I left the car with a place on Monday morning that does emissions testing and has HP Tuners.   To get through an emissions test easily with a Late model camira or Falcon, HP Tuners is part of the solution.   

I didn't hear back from the place today, so I'll go see them tomorrow and check for an update.  

But, getting a Falcon through an emissions test appears to be much, much easier than people make it out to be. 

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

similar (but worse) here in Victoria, with regard to the emissions stuff... absolute PITA

Good to know it's at a place that's willing to help with the testing/passing via HPT.

I wish you well. Can't wait to see this thing registered :spoton:

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 24d
 Apparently here in WA it's a 5-gas test, instead of a full emissions test.  I have no idea what the difference is, except that a 5-gas test is easier to pass than a full emissions test (that's what DOT told me).  

The intake manifold, dump pipe and cat converter are easy to spot.  Tuning can't be seen, so that one's easy to get away with (hence Tocchi's car not requiring testing).

It was an LS1 conversion in an old Toyota... Haha

89b96ca3afe781e59d781bd9cb4c356b.jpg

Good to see its progressing somewhat.

Couldn't you sneakily run e10 (rather than full e85) to trick the 5gas test ?

9 hours ago, Tocchi said:

It was an LS1 conversion in an old Toyota... Haha

Sounds like it would have used the original LS1 intake and catalytic converter, which would then not require any emissions testing (ie factory parts).

17 hours ago, turboknapp said:

What workshop was open monday to be able to assist? 

Pretty nice of them to open on a public holiday

I booked it in last week for Monday, not realising it was a long weekend.  He said to ring him on Sunday afternoon, and he might be able to meet at the workshop on Sunday afternoon, as he lives nearby.

Contacted him Sunday and asked if he was still working Monday (ie he owns the workshop).  Yep, he was going in to catch up on some work.

No worries, got the car there on Sunday morning.  Haven't heard back yet (Wednesday afternoon).  Very curious about how he's gone with getting it through an emissions test.  

• 3 weeks later...

Newsflash!

Just got the phone call.

Car has passed an emissions test!

Bloody rapt.

After all this delay, I can now get on with getting this thing licenced and on the road... legally.  

• Like 13