Fg F6 Auto Vibration At High Speed

darcati

• Member For: 13y 7m 16d

Just came back from a drive to Canberra and have noticed an annoying vibration at highway speeds.

It only occurs at speeds above 90-100km/h and only under load and disappears when coasting.

The vibration feels like its transmitted through the body and can't feel it through the auto shifter and only slightly in the steering.

Apart from Super Pro comfort diff bushes all is stock. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the cause?

Otherwise any recommendation of a workshop in Sydney that I can get to have a look at it OTHER than a Ford dealer?

Cheers

Wouldn't warped wheels vibrate even when coasting? One thing I forgot to mention is the longer you drive the worse the vibration gets. Initially leaving Canberra I could barely notice it but as time went on the vibration was more pronounced, as if something heating up making it worse.

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 11d

Would a stuffed engine mount cause it?

Engine mount sounds plausible, cant understand how it gets worse the longer you drive, don't think it would have anything to do with wheels as the vibration disappears when coasting.

I'm thinking the uni is stuffed and gets worse as it warms up?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 30d

Hmmm...the FPV wheels can buckle quite easy...(have had this happen to me)...even though local tyre shop didn't pick it up on the balancer...when I took it into Ford they found the buckled wheel straight away...not sure if they have more sensitive wheel balancing machines...(Not saying this is the case with you)

My symptoms of a buckled wheel were only noticeable at highway speeds, on nice smooth freeway tarmac...

Maybe try and get your wheels re balanced incase a weight has come off.

From experience a leaking engine mount will give the car a rough idle feel...(as in more noticeable while idling at the lights, than when your moving)

Could be an unbalanced tailshaft causing the problem too...(maybe it needs to be rebalanced)

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 26d

I'd suggest driveline related from the symptoms described.

May be as simple as a throw tailshaft weight. Gets worse over time as harmonics set in and accentuate the movement.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 14d

I've got a slight vibration at around 90 to 100kph in my FG. Its driveshaft related and gets worse when the car is loaded up. With just me in it I don't feel it. WIth a few fat babes in the back seat you notice it.

My FG is the same. 3 sets of rims, 4 sets of tyres and replaced brakes with new Brembo calipers disc and pads. Superpro diff bushes and still persists. Mechanics and tyre fitters don't seem to pick it up.

Thinking of trying new gearbox and engine mounts.

Edited by avi8R