Fg Manual Ute Tail Shaft - Opinions Welcome

camo86T

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 4d

Guys

Tossing up what to do about a tail shaft for my FG manual ute

Currently running around 360rwkw on 98 but will be getting the tune finalised in the next few weeks and with an eflex tune hope to be pushing into low 400s

Tailshaft is currently stock; as is the rest of the rear end, ride height all stock too.

I've owned since new ('08) and give it a good flogging when the need arises, but I'm generally fairly easy on it around town

Usually I make an effort to keep it all smooth as possible - ease it into gear, little bit of throttle on downshifts etc etc... basically to eliminate the amount of lash/clunk/whatever that seems to come as standard with these cars. If driven like that then it's smooth as. (True story)

But giving it a few hard shifts WOT 3-4 the other night - could definitely feel it there more, CVs did not seem to like it too much

Tried to do a bit of searching on here but couldn't seem to pin down any threads regarding tail shaft issues in manual utes in particular - not due to power anyway, plenty of issues from lowering

Point is, power will be going up and it won't be getting any better, so I've basically decided to go ahead with an upgrade, question is, what's best option?

I know CMS will supply and install upgraded trail shaft for $1550, waiting to hear back from them what brand/supplier and what they're rated to. Pricewise I think 1550 is more than fair if it's say a 1000hp rated shaft and balancing issues don't rear their head.

Common complaint seemed to be was massive increase in NVH with the change from CV to uni type joints

From memory this was all in auto utes or sedans or manual sedans though so not sure if/how relevant

Is this likely to be more/same/less of an issue in a manual ute?

Options and opinions please :)

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 15d

I've got the Gibson shaft in my FG auto ute, supplied and fitted by CMS.

Slight vibration around 2700-3k under load.

Can't see why there would be a difference comparing NVH in the auto or manual. They both have a 2 piece shaft so will have the same number of unis in it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 8y 10m 2d

Hi guys,

Bought a brand new XR6 Turbo 6 speed manual ute in 2013 and it's had that clunk from new no matter what driving conditions. Open road, Cruise control or pushing it hard makes no difference. Car is stock standard. Before I even touch the engine I will need to investigate and hopefully rectify this apparent design fault. Sorry just whinging but it gets me down sometimes. Such a good car otherwise.

• Like 1

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 15d

Since when have Ford made a one piece for the Utes? They have been 2 piece since the AU.

Probably an aftermarket tail shaft if its a single piece shaft.
Gibson Driveshaft Service make a 1000hp rated shaft for the sedans and utes.