Buying A New Tv - Any Advice?

NVT

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 3d

Based on what Boris? Reviews and friends I have who work in home theatre suggest otherwise...

Edited by .Stripes.

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 8m 10d

I have a samsung series 8 smart tv and they are sick. Keyboard on the back of the control and heaps of other sh*t.

Now all I need is the net at home. -_-

Edited by Bizkets is fat?

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 20d

very interested will follow closely.

Almost brought 2 TV's for my new house on the weekend but the lady was talking to much sh1t and tried to sell me a home threat when I already know want im getting.

I was looking at LG or Samsung 65" and a 55". I did look at the new LG OLED and holly crap picture is awesome but very pricey and only comes in 55"

I remember spending alomst $2500 about 10 years ago on a LG Flatron TV and that was like wow flat TV.

Im going to make a wish list on Harvey Norman, Goods Guys now print it out and see if or how much the prices move before I buy in about 3 - 4 months time.

Whilst here has anyone got a Bose Lifestyle System? Im looking at getting one for the new house in the cinema room.

Or what would recommend putting in and looking for a minimal look. Will be used for everything movie, TV and Gaming.

cheers

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 9d

Buying a TV these days can be as daunting as it was to buy / build a desktop computer box a few years back and remembering that the new gen of tv's is a computer (with slightly limited functions) with a tv card in it will help in making a choice.

When I was shopping for a new one a while back, the first thing I thought of was the picture quality.

Looking at the LG, Sony and Samsung side-by-side at the tv shop just got me more confussed as the picture on each was fantastic, and all were slightly different.

The sales guy started talking about Hz and I remembered back to something I read a few years back...........the older you get, the less fps you eyes actually register and then a few months back over in the Battlefield 4 thread, Az and a few of the guys were talking about video cards for their gaming computers that run (iirc) 120 up to 200 frames-per-second.

Just to clarify something here for those that may not be aware, when Hz is spoken about on a TV, the number quoted is the 'maximum' fps that the processor sends to the panel (screen).

Now I don't know about the rest of you but my eyes are .... well .... not the best these days and there is no way that my brain could tell the difference between 200fps and 60fps so I was able to save a few bucks by looking at the 60/50 Hz Tv's only.

Next - really - important thing for me was Input Lag......as mentioned in a post above.

Back when I was shopping for a new tv, I was big time into COD & Battlefield on the PS3 and a thread over on Whirlpool spoke of the lag between a gaming consol and the tv - that is - when you hit the x button on the controller, how long is it before I actually fire off a bullet on the screen.

The LG was hopeless back then (720ms - almost a second) with no way to turn off any of the processing in the tv to speed it up and the Sony has the best as it has a gaming mode and with a hi-speed hdmi cable took the lag time down to 17ms. Some of you may be thinking "so what about the lag". Well let me tell you the the difference can be the difference between you killing someone before they kill you. We all know about 'video lag' especially on the Battlefield servers so anything that could lessen the overall lag between me and some kid with awesome reflexes is gotta be good.

3D was an obvious choice for me simply because I watched a few demos of it and it blew me away........no spoilers here but I watch Game Of Thrones and Banshee in (simulated) 3D and WOW - but the Active type 3D gave me a headache after about 10 or 15 minutes so passive it was.

The OS had to be fast and easy to use and at the time, the Samsung was extremely slow and really confusing to navigate (for me) so that got rid of that brand and as I spoke of before, the input lag in the LG had taken that one out so that left the Sony, which I bought and was a great choice for me. The model I bought has the LG panel run by the Sony OS and watching the sprint cars on channel one while I'm typing this reminds me that I chose reallllly well.

But, If I was to buy a tv today, I would look at some of the TV's from Kogan.

Edited by BenDoCo
  • Like 3

Almost brought 2 TV's for my new house on the weekend but the lady was talking to much sh1t and tried to sell me a home threat when I already know want im getting.

I was looking at LG or Samsung 65" and a 55". I did look at the new LG OLED and holly crap picture is awesome but very pricey and only comes in 55"

I remember spending alomst $2500 about 10 years ago on a LG Flatron TV and that was like wow flat TV.

Im going to make a wish list on Harvey Norman, Goods Guys now print it out and see if or how much the prices move before I buy in about 3 - 4 months time.

Whilst here has anyone got a Bose Lifestyle System? Im looking at getting one for the new house in the cinema room.

Or what would recommend putting in and looking for a minimal look. Will be used for everything movie, TV and Gaming.

cheers

Just be careful with OLED, as the colours are fantastic initially but will severely drop off after a couple of years. So unless you're planning on replacing it in 2 years I'd go with quantum dot over OLED...which is another reason I got the Sony I did.

With respects to minimalistic theatre systems, check out the Focal Dome speaker system mate. I used to work in a high end home theatre shop and would choose the Focal Dome over Bose every day of the week for a small footprint theatre. That combined with a decent AV receiver (Yamaha, Denon, Cambridge Audio) and you'll be onto a winner.

http://www.focal.com/en/dome/347-d%C3%B4me-pack-51.html

• Like 1

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 20d

Thanks Stripe's my closest dealer is almost 2.5hrs away. I like to check out the item and listen to before making a decision.

Ive got awhile yet before I have to start running wires etc so still looking around and reading up but suggestions are welcome.

Never done a cinema room before or had any hifi gear just the plain old TV setup.

How much would you spend on a system? I have budgeted 4-5k excluding the TV.

4-5k is reasonable. Personally, I'd always suggest going proper floor standing speakers over minimalistic stuff, unless you REALLY need the floor space. You'll get a much better sound stage and more full range sound than you'll ever get from smaller stuff.

For that sort of budget you should be able to get a Focal Chorus 700 series 5.1 setup if you haggle with them a bit, which is what I actually have at home and happily recommended to clients. Fantastic sounding system for the money.

5662b787b0cabbe6a42d5f98c007354e.jpg

• Too heavy needs boost
  • Member For: 10y 8m 10d

cheers

krix speakers and a yamaha amp. Done.
  • Like 1