A Politician With Some Common Sense - Speed Limits

k31th

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Hey guys, saw this on FullBOOST via FB and thought you guys might like to see this... some common sense

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Yeah, just thought people would like to actually hear some common sense with regard to speed limits. :) I don't doubt you there that it will be extremely unlikely to make it into law.

EDIT: I also like this video on the same subject:

Edited by k31th

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Both video's are on the side of the people who would like more sensible limits.
Hopefully it won't make you angry :)

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 28d

Define sensible limits though.. what's sensible for you may not be sensible for me (even though I'm sure I'm a better driver :-P)

I'll watch the videos later.. who knows I might agree.. but I've been involved in a lot of push from different state governments to increase limits.. but they always always always won't put their own nuts on the line.. they want someone like me to say it's safe to do something stupid..

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

1. Sensible is to have a LIMIT posted that is a tiny bit above what the average driver would consider "ultimately safe".

2. Limits should cater to the 85th percentile. If 85% of people by default do that speed without a limit or otherwise then that should be around the designated speed for that road.

I have a few roads near me that have a HUGE problem with over-enforcement and overly low speed limits that just makes you seem like you're daudling when you actually sit on cruise control in that zone deliberately to avoid getting a fine.

Most people know how to drive to the conditions. The rest can be targeted for "enforcement" as necessary.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 28d

Speed limit should not cater for the 85th percentile. Why?

Because roads are designed for the 85th. Read any of the Australian road guides. Either 85th percentile or posted speed +10kmh ..

sh*t eh?

What's the flow on effect?

It's not a few thousand dollars.. it's billions. If we posted roads for the 85th, we would design for the 95th. If we did that we would be designing roads for people driving stupid. If we do that we blow out costs.

If we blow out costs you the taxpayer is gonna Crack the sh*ts that maintenance would be decreasing and it's bad enough already.

Now that's not to say that some roads can't be higher speeds (western qld and NT come to mind) but if you wanted to build a road anywhere near or in Melbourne that allowed the 95th centile the flow on effects would be unfathomable to most.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I think you need to not take my word for it, but just watch the video's and see if they explain it better. I'll be happy to talk/discuss/argue/debate about the video content more once you've watched them :)