Rear End Knocking

boost69

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 6d

Guys,

I took my car into Ford complaining of two issues,

Rear end passenger side knock, and severe axle tramp on hard take offs.

Ford did the diff bushes, and it looks like that has settled the tramping some what.

The thing is when I got the car back, I still had the rear end passenger side knock (unchanged), and now I had a new knock coming from the drivers side rear end.

Took the car back and was told one of the bushes wasn't seated properly, and so the cradle had to be dropped again to get the bushes right. (I actually seen the car on the hoist with the cradle ripped out).

I got the car back the other day and it still has the rear end knock coming from both sides...the passenger side rear knock was always there, and the drivers side rear knock started form the first time they changed the bushes.

I'm not sure what the passenger side rear knock could be...but when im going over little bumps it knocks around, though applying the brakes tends to muffle it a bit...(could this be something to do with the wheel hub??)

The drivers side knock, I initially thought it might have been a loose exhaust mount...but wouldn't Ford have seen this?

I thought these types of issues would have been easy for Ford to diagnose esecially after all these years...

Has anyone experienced the symptoms im talking about?

Edited by boost69

• Member For: 11y 9m 2d

My ba xr6t had that. I found the rear rose joints stuffed. There called a few other things beside rose joints. Also still had slight knock there so was a combination of the wheel bearings and control blade bushs

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 11d

I had a knock driving over the smallest of bumps, for example if I went over a joint in the concrete at slow speed it would clunk. Finally found the problem

And it was the lower front control arm bushes were flogged. Changed to super pro and no more clunk thank god...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11m 6d

Guys,

Car has in been into Ford three times to try and resolve the rear passenger side knock, and it's still there.

It's the knock that's heard over little bumps and pot holes, that others have described. (it's like a "thud" over bumps)

To their credit Ford has changed diff bushes and looked at every other bush under the car, and even they are adament there is nothing that is loose under the car.

They even replaced my rear passenger side shock thinking it could have been a rattling shock.

It seems this knock is one of those mysteries of the universe...

Is there anything else that can be causing it?...like a ball joint, or a wheel hub that is out of tolerences?

I have noticed that when im applyng the brakes over the bumps it tends to muffle out the "thud" a bit.

Edited by boost69

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 18d

^^ this +1

Replaced mine with Whiteline on Thursday and thud/thump is gone

• 2 weeks later...
  • I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 18d

I can't find the invoice atm but I'm pretty sure that they were around $175 -- plus fitting -- plus align