Lowest Voltage Battery Recovery

k31th

• I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 6m 22d

A autoelec once told be to replace a battery every 3 years to stop it straining the starter motor

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

The Amp-Hour rating is not marked on it, but I found that the "new" replacement make/model is a Lion-482 (Re-marketed Rocket battery), but it has 760CCA (not the 730 marked on mine) rating, so the stats are marginally different.

http://www.lionbatteries.com.au/pdfs/Product%20Catalogue%20-%20Rocket%20Automotive%20spec%20sheet.pdf

http://batteriesonline.com.au/82/battery-details/Lion-482

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 3m 29d

Car battery's are my enemy at work. I don't fk around when there's 11k worth of electronic equipment in the car lol. I only deal with Falcons and have found the Optima D34 yellow tops last the longest. In saying that I don't think I've ever tried to recover one sitting at 3v. As an Electronic Tech I love this kinda thing too.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 10d

just as some information...

The "other" charger is the Projecta AC250B that was recommended for maintaining my old Odyssey dry cell battery in the previous car. I still have it, that's the one that does 1600mA haha. Bit of a shame that it's not "rated" to the CCA of this battery that came with the car that I purchased. :( I'd have to step all the way up to a Projecta AC1000 in the same model line... anybody want to swap an AC250B (mine) for an AC1000 or higher with cash your way? lol

This other "recovery" charger is a Tecmate Optimate4, which also isn't technically "rated" for this amount of CCA/Amp-hours, but it would have got it to full capacity eventually, if I'd left it for a day or two more :)... I basically bought it because it can "recover" up to 50A/Hr batteries but it can 'maintain' 70A/hr batteries, so It would probably cover this one, using both chargers, JUST. :) (assuming the Lion-482 mentioned above has the same 70A/hr rating or less than the one marked in that table that has an A/Hr rating.)

If I had to buy another charger it would defeat the point of buying this "recovery" charger to fix up this battery (thus avoiding having to buy a new battery) :) haha, even if it was incredibly satisfying and worth the effort in the end :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 29d

A battery can read 12 volts but soon as a load is put on it it can drop to zero...

Load tests and hydrometer are best way to check

Battery sitting on concrete is the fastest way to kill one