Lowest Voltage Battery Recovery

k31th

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

I recently pulled my battery out of my car after having it disconnected for ~12 months (slow self-discharge). I made the reasonably smart move of disconnecting the battery from the car electrics itself 12 months ago, otherwise I wouldn't be telling this story, most likely!

So I put the battery on my battery charger that only starts on 5V minimum, wouldn't even begin charging... Pulled out the multimeter and checked and it was on a whopping 3.09 Volts... trouble...

Bought another battery recovery device that starts at 0.5V and kicked off the charging process with a largely pessimistic outlook.

After about 45 minutes it had got the voltage up to about 5.3V but it had stopped there stating the battery had a fault and would not take charge... thought bugger it I'll chuck on the original charger and it started and ran for about 12 hours and got it up to about 11.1 volts and had given up... still not looking good.

Connected the new battery recovery charger again and it "tested OK" this time, wow! surprised... beginning to get optimistic here... kept it on charge for almost 4 full days and it sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly recovered voltage. This battery is a SMF/AGM type so it has calcium added to prevent bubbling so it doesn't need replenishing of water reservoirs... in the end it got up to 14.03 volts (while charging).

Still could be bad... so the advice online tended to say to leave it for 12-24 hours after you finish charging it and if it still reads above 12.7 volts you've probably got a healthy battery :)

So I left it and it settled down on 12.83 volts :) I was happy, to say the least :)

Question for you guys... what's the lowest voltage you've ever recovered a battery from?

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m

Similar story for me, 3v. It's amazing how well they bounce back if you treat them correctly.

Do you have the facility to high rate discharge the battery? This will allow you to punch through the float charge and should help the battery accept close to 100pc capacity after a high amp recharge.

(when I say discharge I mean down to the manufacturers specified discharge level.... Not 3v again... :P)

I also recently dragged a 6v 8ah battery from literally zero volts back to full voltage but I reckon it'll fall over once I demand some current from it.

I have a bit of a battery fetish and really enjoy salvaging them.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Nah, I don't have such facilities... I could take it to an auto-elec or something to confirm...

LOL manufactures specs say 11.3 volts is 99% discharged haha.

I read a situation on the internet where the poles had literally swapped - the voltage was negative - and the guy STILL recovered it haha. Apparently he applied voltage in reverse to "force it" back to zero (correct the poles) then switched the voltage around correctly from zero and charged it back up! wow

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

On peak output this charger (recovery unit) that I bought does 22v (edit: but only at 0.8 amps hahahah) to "pulse" to fix the sulfation (it must have worked :dontknow:) , but only does that in "recovery" mode, not in "bulk charge" mode - apparently the most it puts out is 14.3 in "bulk charge" mode, so it almost got there when the battery was at 14.03 volts

Know any tricks to apply a high discharge to a battery without killing it? ;)

Edited by k31th

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m

You car has a high current draw motor with a decent load on it....just saying ......

remove the fuel pump relay and crank away. Will be interesting to see how long it cranks for. It'll indicate how well the battery recovered.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

well, other than the car, of course haha!

hmmm... I guess I'll put a stopwatch on it to see... any recommendations of results? I'd have no idea how many cranks would be good/bad without guessing :)