Fg Side Mirror Glass Removal

• Member For: 9y 2m 23d

Just wondering if anyone has any pointers on this? I need to get in behind the glass to replace the ambient sensor. Ive had a good look around in behind the glass and could only see one clip. Has anybody got a photo of the rear of the mirror glass? Just so I can see what I'm up against clip wise.

Ive read the manual and although it says lever it off - I am a little sceptical in doing so. I do not really want to break the mirror or the motor and be forced to buy an entire side mirror assembly.

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 23d

I've got to do this myself actually... (And replace my drivers mirror as it's marked too)

Did you just source the part from Ford?

I chased up how to do it a while back and I read that the best thing to do is shift the mirror so it is all the way out, then lever gently. Did read that one guy broke it...So I guess we'll just have to be careful.

Good luck and I'll be following this post

Cheers,

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 8m 21d

You missed this option in the sticky above.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88186-Help-Removing-Side-Mirror-Covers-Fg

This get front cover off and might help to remove mirror.

Ford tech told me he had broken a few clips pulling mirror out.

Edited by GeGe6

• Member For: 9y 2m 23d

You missed this option in the sticky above.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88186-Help-Removing-Side-Mirror-Covers-Fg

This get front cover off and might help to remove mirror.

Ford tech told me he had broken a few clips pulling mirror out.

Thanks mate, I read that before. Will let everyone know how it goes when I pull it off, got the sensor off eBay for $24 delivered.
  • Like 1

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 22d

A video from start to finish would be great

• 7 months later...
  • Member For: 8y 8m

I know this an old list, but I just had this issue with my FG F6 outside temperature not reDing correctly. Here is what I did, hope it helps someone.

Hi all

My outside temperature reading as way out in my FG F6 and so after reading through the forums, decided to replace the sensor that is in the left hand outside mirror.

The manual (and Internet) said to pop off the mirror with a screwdriver, but reading about other people that had broken their mirror, I thought I would step through what I did to replace it.

1. Purchase replacement sensor ( part number 8R2Z 12A647 AA

2. Move the mirror so that there is a gap on the outside, you should be able to just see behind the mirror.

3. Spray WD40 everywhere behind the mirror. Here is a picture of the mirror removed, so you can see the square plastic that it attaches to the mirror motor.

4. I also used a heat gun on low to blow behind the glass to help with the plastic being flexible.

5. I then just got my fingers behind the glass and pulled outwards. It takes a little bit of force, but popped out simply (phew, $295 for a new mirror saved).

6. Here is what the mirror looks like without the glass.

7. The temperature sensor is at the bottom of the mirror and held in with one screw (torx bit). To make access easier, I removed the mirror face plate, which is held on with 3 screws (torx bit)

8. Move the plate to one side and the temperature sensor is now free.

9. I then cut the wires as close to the sensor as you can.

10. I chose to solder the new sensor in (rather than use the supplied crimps) and then cover with heat shrink.

11. Final connection.

12. Put sensor back into its holder and tighten screw.

13. Screw mirror face plate back onto motor.

14. Now for what was the hardest part for me, getting the mirror back onto the facing plate. This took me about 4 goes before finally clicked securely into place. Now you know where best to push on the mirror, line up with plate and exert a bit of force to push on. You will find that the plate keeps moving, but persevere and it will eventually go on (relief).

15. Check your electric mirrors work ok and my external temperature was now working properly. Here is the final result.

16. Good luck.

post-84808-0-93276800-1439545492_thumb.j

post-84808-0-51889200-1439545517_thumb.j

post-84808-0-52961900-1439545629_thumb.j

post-84808-0-54184600-1439545653_thumb.j

post-84808-0-93367300-1439545675_thumb.j

post-84808-0-81083500-1439545709_thumb.j

post-84808-0-77929300-1439545769_thumb.j

post-84808-0-26665300-1439545792_thumb.j