HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 3d

Over the past few months, I have been freshening my old girl. Some that frequent Ford Forums may have already view it's progress, for those that haven't, read on.....

This is the old girl, she's a been a faithful and honest daily driver. She has been dressed in this guise for some years now, So, I thought that it's time for a change.

rfoeljw.jpg

With this in mind, I have sourced new genuine DJR pods and skirts and BA XR6 front and rear bars. A new boot lid and DJR lip spoiler have

Genuine DJR pods and Skirts...

vCIJgZ9.jpg

Front bar almost completed... The carbon fibre splitters that I purchased for the build, do not fit correctly. So, I will be making a mould and fabricating a new one soon...

DkXDfjx.jpg

Boot lid, skirts and lip spoiler fitted. I damaged one of my Speedy Envy Rims, so I purchased a set of Vertini Drift's.

cmF8YwZ.jpg

Edited by k31th
pb pics fix

OK, enough of the cosmetic stuff. Let's get down to the performance elements...

I purchased e new FG F6 short engine from Ford.

YBwz1Sa.jpg

We stripped the short, in preparation for better internals and the crank was sent to get Nitrided, This strengthens the crank and relieves it. While not been a necessity, it was done with the view of longevity and reducing wear. The crank was returned with standard size journals, so ACL Race Series bearing were purchased.

OojJnyf.jpg

The standard F6 pistons and rods.

TKOAdG7.jpg

dRQsanS.jpg

Crank after it returned from being Nitrided.

i19kTp3.jpg

Atomic 998 "Phat rods" replace the Standard F6 conrods. The rods were sent with the Crank, for the small and bushes to be machined to suit the gudgeon pins.

OvQwHfs.jpg

We considered piston selection for some time, and ended up purchasing a set of JE forged pistons. As we started the build with a new block, we were able to use standard size pistons. The block was honed to the required clearance specifications, for the boost that we intend to run.

OvQwHfs.jpg

61HWjQg.jpg

HSspWGo.jpg

Edited by k31th
pb pics fix

With reliability in mind, I purchased an Atomic 10mm mains girdle, Atomic Ovate valve springs, Atomic anti pump lifters, Atomic 10mm girdle, Atomic 14.3mm head studs, VCM suite and another 2 Bosch 044's.

pTix4C2.jpg

Atomic Main studs.

JS3WDgw.jpg

Atomic oil pump.

XuUu4D0.jpg

Atomic Balancer and anchorlock..

69xmQhz.jpg

F0KZzIW.jpg

As this will be a direct engine changeout (there being no donor engine), and as some of the components on the engine in the car being a bit long in the tooth, it was decided to purchase all new ancillieries and components. This included every bolt for the engine to be purchased new through Ford.

New sump..

vVdbZ9W.jpg

New plugs and coils..

PyKiPGD.jpg

iYMcUNf.jpg

We upgraded the alternator to a 200 amp one, due to increased power draw of the fuel pumps and stereo system.

s8dptKL.jpg

eucC7Fk.jpg

New starter motor, water pump, idler, tensioner and power steering pump.

yVjfvtv.jpg

PMddOQp.jpg

IxXzHeD.jpg

Edited by k31th
pb pics fix

At the end of October, I managed to align some time with my days with my engine guys availability. We made the most of the time that we had, and we bolted the bottom end together. this however, was not without technical issues....

We painted the block prior to assemblyand we realised soon after that we had not drilled the dipstick facility into the FG block, so we masked off the engine, and with the assistance of a sharp drill and some valve stem reamers, we drilled the dipstick hole...

FBy3nLv.jpg

We the unboxed all of the goodies and lay them out on the build table. Upon unpacking the pistons, we identified a shortfall in the pins that were supplied with the JE pistons. The pins were wall thickness were quite thin in their wall construction and could distort. Obviously this could be be problematic, given the power that I want to achieve. So, we changed the pins out with a thick walled set that he had ordered for customer, that he is building a 2JZ for..... The picture below speaks volumes....

DBIaWV5.jpg

Having changed these out, we connected the rods to the pistons and fitted the mains studs, crank and caps to the engine and then installed the pistons. All good!!! Or so it seemed....

Soon after we fitted the 10mm girdle and found that the main studs were too short, and we could only achieve half a nut on the main studs. A quick phone call to the supplier, identified the issue. Apparently, you have to place 10mm (from memory) ball bearings down each mains stud to allow it to bottom, which in turn, increases the stud height and allows a full nut on each stud. Not exactly what I wanted to hear at the time, as this created additional delays (as engine guy's shed is out of town). GRRRR!!!

So having considered the requirement, and engine guy having to go to town to pick up his children from school. We decided to err on the side of caution and get addition ball bearings to suite the 14.3 mm head studs, should they require it..At this point, I had run out of time and had to depart for my 5hr drive out to work. Hence, why I do not have any pictures of the complete assembled bottom end... A little disappointing, but we have moved forward, and the bottom end is now complete.

q5S9XPQ.jpg

Edited by k31th
pb pics fix

Now that the bottom end was together, a head was sourced a stripped. It was them dried to suit the 14.3mm head studs. At this point, we decided to concentrate on the top end and look for areas where we could increase efficiency.

With this in mind, we decided to port the runners and fit larger valves.

We opted for a new set of Ferrea valves, with a 4mm oversize intake and 3mm oversize exhaust.

KLhKrTT.jpg

ybMLepB.jpg

8tHZYFS.jpg

Due to obvious increase in valve size, new seats were sourced and installed. Porting of the runners commenced and is now close to final finish.

v2ddsFW.jpg

SfdbVAH.jpg

IxJjyUp.jpg

Unfortunately, due to the holidays, we were unable to get the seats Cnc'd. So, I will have to wait until the machinist reopens in the new year. We should have planned this better..... :clever-2:

Edited by k31th
pb pics fix

I kind of got a bit off track with some of the sequencing of these posts. I am just trying to keep the thread tidy and flowing....

Prior to the assembly of the bottom end, I purchased all of the other required parts ie: Turbo, manifold, fuel rail, plenum, injectors etc.

We decided on a Garret GTX4202r would best suit my needs. As it should get me to the desired power level, while still maintaining drive-ability. unfortunately, I did not do enough research on the exhaust housing, and I purchased a 1.01 housing instead of a 1.28. This will be sourced when the time for installation is required.

Du8Ozaj.jpg

J83QwZk.jpg

This will be coupled to a 6boost split pulse manifold and a Turbosmart 60mm external wastegate.

HWLyrXt.jpg?1

AGBZCWU.jpg

At the start of the exhaust system, a CES dump has been sourced. The dump is a V band which starts as a 4" diameter form the V band fitting and increases to 5' in diameter, at around 8" from the turbo. Unfotunately, I don't have any pictures on file, I will get on uploaded soon....

The remainder of the exhaust system was sourced form a forum member who purchase Spiro Anton's F6. I put the car into the shop (Ace Exhaust) to get the exhaust fitted, but we couldn't get the section that goes over the K Frame in. We dropped the whole frame and then found that the shape was all wrong. so, we'll salvage whet we can and work from there. We ordered some new tight radius 4' stainless bends in an attempt to rebuild the rear section.

lk8R2zG.jpg

Mega shout out to Brian from Ace Exhaust for his persistence and his impeccable work. After many hours, he managed to get the IRS section to fit correctly

ZbCD2PZ.jpg

4kmVkxD.jpg

Edited by k31th
pb pics fix

As with all high mount setup's a new header is a must. So a polished alloy version was sourced.

NZcB0TV.jpg

To assist me in monitoring the engines vital signs, the Genuine FPV dual gauge pod was ditched for a triple gauge version. And as my current boost gauge only goes to 20psi, new gauges were purchased.

iqYZbFe.jpg

New Autometer Cobalt 45 PSi boost, Fuel and oil pressure gauges.

g3MER10.jpg

S6bxlak.jpg

f8JW9Xo.jpg

While I'm on the subject of cosmetics, I purchased a Nizpro rocker cover garnish and new set of 50th anniversary leather to replace the worn leather and suede covers.

EAMXCsN.jpg

6oiQ18n.jpg

Edited by k31th
pb pics fix

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Did you order pistons to increase the compression ratio, to take advantage of the E85, you will obviously be running.