HI PSI

• Member For: 17y 10m 4d

Where do I start...  It has been a very frustrating week.

The wiring was installed and we had a problem with the engine management losing its home signal. This made it run like a real pig..  So, we went back over the wiring and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. We then pulled  the intake cam sensor off my old engine and replaced the new unit (500 km old, factory sensor) and it fixed the issue.

The car was running about 300% better now, but we had a fueling problem at idle. It was over fueling and despite specifying 1 lambda for AFR and trimming the table, it made no difference. Initially, we thought that the fuel (98 Ron) was old and that it was the cause. So, we removed the regulator and started to pump the old fuel out when we noticed that fuel was coming out of the vacuum line.  Which leads us to believe that the 500 km old Fuelab regulator has a leaking diaphragm. I've spent some time today trying to source a replacement part, which to date, has been unsuccessful. I'll try some of the Aussie distributors tomorrow morning...

I'll keep updating as we progress..

On 6/25/2018 at 9:24 PM, glimmerman said:

Have you had any cosmetic changes to the car in the last few months? You also had a second car didn't you that was getting a build?

Sold the second car. I don't have enough time for another build at the moment.. Cosmetically, the car has not changed. Hasn't helped that I haven't seen it for six months. Lol.  I still have some carbon fibre parts to make. I'll update the thread when they are completed.

On 6/25/2018 at 7:49 PM, Redlightandy said:

Wow what a build, good job there sir

Thank you. It has been a labor of love...

• Like 1

I sent an email to Fuelab a few days ago, regarding our fuel bypass issue.  They stated that "99% of the time, a failed diaphragm is the result of a small piece of debris
putting in pinhole in the material. It's compatible with all common fuels with the exception of nitromethane, so fuel compatibility is very rarely the cause. Although a different size/shape, we use the same material from the same vendor that all of the other big names get theirs from." They also requested a picture of the under side of the diaphragm.

So, I got my wiring guy to dismantle the reg, and I must say that we were surprised with what we found.... I have sent a strong, well worded response, accompanied my these pictures.....

Top side - Non fuel side of the regulator. note the black ring...

1nNkg1g.jpg

Under side pics x 3 - Note the extent of the failure...

wc2ja1o.jpg

n8B5NXO.jpg

PBG9FVE.jpg

On a lighter note,  I've heard that Photobucket has eased their 3rd party hosting rules. Any truth to it???  Only reason that I ask, is that I've installed a chrome workaround, so that I could view the posted pics and update the thread to Image.your links. I've completed updating pics up to page 10 and I cannot tell if the old Photobucket links thereafter, are working or not...

Feedback on this would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Brad

Edited by HI PSI

Their website specifies 25-65 PSID. We were running two Walbro 460's at 4 bar - 60 PSI. The fuel system is a -10 teflon feed and return line..

Edited by HI PSI

• Member For: 19y 6m 6d

What type of fuel pumps are you running and how many of them?

LPH @ 12v @ 0psi = maximum flow rate of the fuel pump per hour.

Do they have a relief valve installed in them?

Sorry I have read the thread but don't remember the fuel system setup.

FUELAB® 555 and 575 Series Fuel Pressure Regulators are true precision instruments designed to regulate fuel.  These units feature an advanced poppet design for smooth regulating capability.  We’ve also incorporated a no-creep soft seat that’s methanol and E85 compatible. We’ve also incorporated a no-creep soft seat that’s methanol and E85 compatible. Adjustable in ranges from 1-3 PSI up to 25-65 PSI.

FUELAB® 585 Series Fuel Pressure Regulators expand on the line of Blocking Style (non-bypass) Regulators like our 555 and 575 Series, in a Traditional 4-Port Package. The main seat assembly can be quickly exchanged in case of seat damage, such as debris. The seat assembly can be taken apart further to enable o-ring replacement of the Soft-Seat design. With Dual -10AN Inlet Ports and Four -6AN Outlet Ports (port spread allows for -8AN line size) gives the regulator ability for extremely high flow rates with a flattened curve for pressure stability through its use of a 1.5 inch diaphragm assembly.

To me this section " The main seat assembly can be quickly exchanged in case of seat damage, such as debris. " sound like a cop out and something that this company has seen and faced before. How often do good regs go bad?

That reg has failed pure and simple. Your set up is impeccable and the likely hood of you encountering debris is in my opinion unlikely, considering the attention to detail of this build!

2 hours ago, Typhoon said:

What type of fuel pumps are you running and how many of them?

LPH @ 12v @ 0psi = maximum flow rate of the fuel pump per hour.

Do they have a relief valve installed in them?

I must have been typing my reply while you were... Lol. See post above this reply...

This is the regulator specifications and model number:

Name56501 High Flow Fuel Pressure Regulator

Blackresized_cc0bcb7d00b6cedaa5c74b025274c467.jpg

-10AN Inlets / MAX FLOW 1/2" Seat / EFI (25-65 PSID)

56501 High Flow Fuel Pressure Regulator

Item-detailsFUELAB® 565 Series Fuel Pressure Regulators have all of the same great features as our 515/525 Series except for extreme capacity. Utilizing a massive ½” return orifice and -10AN ports, these regulators hold no bounds. With the bypass capability over 5 GPM at 5 PSI, this new regulator can handle blow through carbureted applications well over 1800 H.P., and for EFI applications using belt driven fuel pumps; even further (with a flattened regulation slope). Regulator comes in four different pressure ranges covering applications between 4 and 80

Regulator Features

• Two -10AN inlet ports and one -10AN return port
  • 1.75" sized diaphragm with 1/2" return orifice
  • Gasoline, diesel, methanol, and ethanol fuel compatible
  • Billet Aluminum with anodize per military MIL-A-8625, Type II
  • Fine thread pitch for precise pressure adjustment
  • Versatile mounting bracket and stainless steel hardware
  • 1/8” NPT gauge port with plug for external pressure gauge
  • 1/8” NPT pressure reference port with barbed fitting
  • Backed by a 2-year limited warranty

56501-C -10AN Inlets / Standard Seat / EFI (25-65 PSID)

2 hours ago, Typhoon said:

To me this section " The main seat assembly can be quickly exchanged in case of seat damage, such as debris. " sound like a cop out and something that this company has seen and faced before. How often do good regs go bad?

That reg has failed pure and simple. Your set up is impeccable and the likely hood of you encountering debris is in my opinion unlikely, considering the attention to detail of this build!

I guess that they see "rebuildable" as a positive marketing strategy...  I suppose that not having to buy another unit is a positive... However, as the fault was out of the box. I am less than amused...   As stated in my recent correspondence with Fuelab: "I cannot begin to describe my disappointment and frustration, given the time and cost associated with identifying the issue. Given that this is one of your top shelf, flagship products, with a price tag to match, only compounds these feelings."

I keenly await their reply...

I was and continue to be OCD with the build. I personally fabricated all lines and ensure that any/all contaminants were removed. I ran water through all lines and dried them with compressed air. Also, note that I run a large 10 micron fuel filter and that the stains on the top diaphragm are on the non fuel side of the regulator....