Knocking Noise On Take Off

sd1800

• Member For: 13y 2m 16d

I've got a bit of a noise I have noticed coming from somewhere under the rear of my FG. I certainly wouldn't say it's really loud, most passengers probably wouldn't even notice it, but I do as I'm quite familiar with the car.

It will only do it when taking off in first gear a little briskly, and it's definitely what I'd describe as abit of a knocking noise that only lasts maybe 1 second. It's much more prominent if I am taking off on a hill, or if I have weight/passengers in the rear.

All three diff bushes were done only 2000km ago so it's definitely not those.

Anyone had this issue? The car is a manual by the way.

Thanks bud. I have changed the diff fluid but the vibration and noise is still there so no luck - although the rear end does feel better, and the stuff that came out of it looked like a chocolate milkshake.

Any other ideas?

• 3 months later...

Alright, now I'm frustrated!!!

Guy at Hardi Spicer, who seemed quite helpful to be fair, said that 90% of the time if the Centre Bearing has failed and is starting to collapse it has been because of other componentry in the tailshaft which is worn such as the Uni Joint and/or the join at the gearbox. He said by the time you replace the bearing and more than likely the other worn componentry and give the shaft a balance, your looking at $1000~. He says if I just replace the centre bearing they can't cover it under warranty and there's a good chance I'll be back within months saying it's returned or still there....

How true is this? How many people have JUST replaced the centre bearing and everything has been fine and dandy?

Edited by sd1800

• 5 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 6m 25d

I'm buying an fg f6 with exactly the same noise vibration,getting some money off for the noise though..... How did you go with the noise? What did you end up getting fixed/ replaced and did it work?

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

^^^^ I agree. I think Peter is having the same issue and if you have white line sway bars, it has something to do with grinding back the washer a tad.

PTR_NITRO_FG please tune in and explain.

• Member For: 11y 8m

the whiteline set up only become an issue with adjustable link rods.. In the end I was supplied a free replacement set of solid links from whiteline as the adjustable rods in the front & rear swaybar kits are crap ..

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 3d

^^^ Interesting XRSEXT .... do have pics or any links? I thought the whole point of those z type links (or whatever they are called) was they are better for performance and also less stress is put on the bush itself?

My knocking Marco has nothing to do with OP ... but its what Dan and Steve have said regarding thickness of rear control arms (as some are 2.5mm thick and others are 2mm thick). Its going in to Ford next Thursday for other stuff...but will get them to measure thickness while its on the hoist....if it is 2mm thick, I will need to shave 0.5mm off the stepped washer of the wholesale suspension rear link pins to make them sit perfectly (apparently).

Other suspension place also mentioned the rear top mount of shocks can go bad over time...bush breaks down and causes clunking over rough roads.