Brake Shudder - On The Hunt For The Problem. Over Heated Brake Fluid?

masda74

• Member For: 10y 4m 30d

That fluid is indeed farked, make sure you syphon that sh*te out and give the reservoir a good clean before flushing again.

There is no way you can see runout in the thousands of an inch with your eye bro.

As said check/replace your control arm bushes before doing anything else with the brakes.

Also do you torque your wheel nuts to spec in correct order?

Edited by barnz

• Member For: 15y 9m 3d
Keep in mind that the brake fluid was done recently.

Does this look normal?

Negative.

That brake fluid looks like it's years old.

It certainly hasn't been replaced recently. If you've paid someone to do it then you got ripped off.

These days for flushing brake fluid, I have a couple of spare reservoirs. I remove the existing one and put a clean one in its place (I'm doing this stuff often).

Brake fluid dissolves in water, so you can drain the reservoir with a syringe and then remove the reservoir itself. That requires an 8mm socket on one side and disconnecting the cable on the other side. The reservoir will then lift out.

Wash it in warm water and let it dry. This is why I keep two spare ones clean in sealed plastic bags.

Brake shudder causes:

- worn control arm bushes

- rust between the disc rotor and the wheel bearing hub (pushing the disc off alignment). I use a cordless drill and wire brush to clean the rust off all the surfaces.

An old thread about flushing brakes: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/78762-photo-essay-brembo-brake-fluid-flushing

Replacing front lower control arm bushes: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/88363-photo-essay-replacing-front-control-arm-bushes-version-20/

Lower_Control_Arms_47_30_4_2014.jpg

Lower_Control_Arms_43_30_4_2014.jpg

Edited by PhilMeUp
  • Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 20d

That fluid is indeed farked, make sure you syphon that sh*te out and give the reservoir a good clean before flushing again.

There is no way you can see runout in the thousands of an inch with your eye bro.

As said check/replace your control arm bushes before doing anything else with the brakes.

Also do you torque your wheel nuts to spec in correct order?

Okay, I am going to have to speak to the guys about this. they did do the brake fluid flush. I'll go see them this arvo.

I do not use a torque wrench to tighten my wheel nuts. I do have a torque wrench, but have no idea what to set it to.

I have an expandable wheel spanner that I bought, as recommended by Aaron. I use that to tighten them nuts up in the correct order, as in opposite to each other.

I do not stand on the wrench either. I keep an eye on the nuts too. I recently removed the lock nut as I found one of them started to look crap and missing small bits.

PhillMeUp, I did clean the wheel hub and the rotor before installation. I will give them a clean again on the weekend just to make sure.

I really do suspect that it is the control blade bushes that are stuff. there are small bits falling off them. looks like they are shagged.

I will find out when I take the car to Malaga suspension.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

Guys laugh at me for using a torque wrench on the wheel nuts but I was advised to do it by people that know far more than me so I'm not going to argue! Over tightening is bad. Obviously loose nuts aren't good either :)

• Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 20d

Or snapped bolts are not a good thing either hey Steve??? won't go there now will we?

I thought I only ever got the torque wrench for one thing......... tightening the manifold nuts.

Well I have another use for it.