First Time Around The Track

NZBen

• Member For: 9y 9m 22d

Took my freshly tuned G6 around Hampton on the weekend. Was great fun, though it did show a couple of limitations firstly the brakes on a big tank like this get so hot after a short while they just fade out badly and you just find yourself having to brake super early which is sad. So I will be looking at some sort of brake upgrade soon. Are territory brakes bigger? Will they fit? Also the engine oil would overheat after a couple of laps bringing a warning light on. So it's definitely lacking there too. Will look for an after market cooler to slap on. But well recommend it to get a new experience and learn how the car misbehaves when pushed. The best part of the day was people coming up to me and telling me I shoot flames!

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 7m 1d

Brembo brakes will solve the brake issues. Or even some dba t3 with a good pad I found held up well. Didn't have the stopping power of the Brembos though. Also a full brake fluid flush and some high temp fluid. I flush mine after 2 track days.

You sure it's an oil temp light and not the coolant? Up the oil to a quality 15w/50 and flush your coolant out and replace it with just water and Redline water wetter.

Make sure you do cool down laps, and I'd recommend a zf oil change if it's never been done.

If your going to continue tracking the car, best thing you can do is have all fresh fluids in everything and change them often to help protect the car, and just do your best to not cook the hell out of it.

• Like 1

• Member For: 9y 7m 20d

I was there on Friday, but only being a passenger in an NZV8 car. About 1 min and a few seconds per lap. Hitting 220+ on the main straight. The stopping power of those things is nuts, if you aren't used to it you could snap your neck with the extra weight of the helmet not helping.

I have T3's rotors and some cheap pads, but they seem to hold up well to day to day stuff. I am sure the pads would be a bit useless on a track, but the rotors are great. BNT can get them, can't recall the price, think in the area of $700nzd.

How is the tune, all sorted now?

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 1d

As said T3's and good pads will work fine.

After a track day I would flush brake fluid, new engine oil and new ZF oil, run new coolant.

Last time I hit the track I cooked my brake fluid.

Also highly recommend a good cool down run and never out the hand brake on afterwards.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 20d

Stick it in neutral as u roll into your pit bay then as it comes to a natural stop put it in park, don't stop with the regular brake pedal either. You don't want the pads heat spotting the rotors. Can give it a slow down with the pedal then get off and roll in, depends on any slope u might have to work with.

• Like 3