Recommend ~$1K 18S For My Bf

rollex

• Member For: 9y 9m 20d
So my BF XR6T I bought came with 20x35x245s on it, they are too big imo with the ride quality suffering and the tyre prices being astronomical for a size that doesn't even offer better grip over the stock rims.

I'm looking at going back to an 18" rim but want something that I can fit a 265/35 or 245/40 on so would need to be about 9.5" wide with the correct offset.

The car is purely a street car so looking for value over anything, don't mind if they are heavy and not forged. Can anyone recommend something else fairly cheap that looks alright in this sort of size?

Currently looking at rota grids (pic below) which are under $1k for a set.

20120804_150656.jpg

Edited by rollex

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 2d

At 1k you will be forced to go "cheapo" brands or no name brands or second hand good brands on ebay/gumtree.

It depends how sh*t your roads are and whether you want to risk buckling/cracking them on potholes, etc.

I went fakies and personally dont mind the fake stuff....the roads I travel in Perth are pretty good and so far I have never cracked any rims I have ever owned; therfore don't mind fakes/rota

I have advan rs copies... 18x9+29 all round with 245/40 front and 265/35 rears fronts could come out by 5-10mm if you're picky and rears are pretty flush (haven't lowered yet but with a bit of negative camber in the rear im hoping it will just clear).

If you can get rotas under a grand you're doing pretty good...cheapest I have seen is $990...good luck and chuck some pics up when you get them ;)

Going to stick with ROTAs from what I've seen, cheers.

unsure of offset though, 8.5 at front and 9/5/10 at rear, with +30 and +35 ? Will that stick out the guards?

Can I fit 9s on the front? I've heard conflicting reports.

Edited by rollex

• Donating Members

use this website.... http://www.willtheyfit.com

I find that as a good guide (there are many others out there as well).....simply put in the figures and it shows you what kinds of movement will occur

9's definitely fit on the front (mine are 9")....I think you can even put 9.5"....but the offsets need to be relatively low and I think stretched tyres too (I.e. 225 or 235)

For 8.5" I would go like +25 if you want conservative.....I think mine would be 'best' at 18x9+20 ...so 8.5 may be +15 or something? (but not 100% on that....use calculator to confirm!)

For rears....I think 18x9.5+35 is the same as my 18x9+29; so pretty flush at stock height! I think 18x10 needs like +38 or +40 (but if you are only going to run 265's or 275's there's no real point - except maybe a bit more dish/concave that usually occurs with the wider rims).

I guess once I lower my car, I will re-assess my offsets, so that eventually when I'm bored of my rims; I can look for something new lol but for now I'm fairly happy with what I got!

There's the "Fg Offsets And Tyre Questions" thread.....with a few pics, etc. Although it is 66 pages long...so you will be reading for a while! (took me a like a month+ (on my phone during lunch breaks) - but lots of pics and stuff)

Thanks for the info, I've read through most of those threads but a lot of info and some of it is conflicting, I guess as some people run massive stretch and others don't mind their wheels sticking out 5cm from the guards.

Ultimately I don't like stretch and think a 265 is the largest tyre I would run so a 9.5" rear with +35 sounds like what I want. I've heard I will struggle to run much wider than a 245 at the front, so would a 8.5" with a 245 be best? If so front offset is the only thing I'm not sure of.

edit: the 8.5" rota grids only come in +30 or greater

Edited by rollex

• Donating Members

Yeah; there is sometimes conflicting info around lol

I have found that 245 is the widest in front (but some have squeezed 255 and even 265 with camber/low offsets, etc). I found with my specific rim....that the 265 didn't fit and they scurb the top area on full lock (near upper control arm I think its called?).

So yeah...I would stick to 245 Fronts and 265 (or 275) Rears. I only went 265 cause the tyres I want only came in 265 or 285 (Goodyear Eagle F1 A2's). But my last set I was running 275's easily (no mods) with an 18x9.5+35 rim.

Seeing as you said the lowest offset for front is 8.5+30....then I would stick to that! That would be slightly tucked in compared to mine, and I think it would suit 'most' people (they will poke more than the stock OEM rims at least) lol

I just noticed....your rims in first pic look decently 'flush' (kinda hard to tell from side on pics).....but maybe when you have spare time you should see if the size (width & offset) are written on the back of the rims??? Or whether you have a receipt or info from the last owner, stating size/offset?

And then use the calculator to judge how much movement will occur with the new grids you are looking at???