First Mods And Turbo Timer

mars80

• Member For: 9y 7m 20d

hi all recently purchased a stock 07 bf turbo ute, was wondering what mods to start with first to some extra kick nothing major and whats the thoughts about geting a turbo timer? worth it?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 28d

Hi Mars, welcome. Definitely in good company here.

To answer your question, you really have to have a budget, a power figure and an end goal for what you'll do to the ute. If it were me as starting mods, I'd put 1000'cc flow matched injectors (ID or KPM, but look at the australian option first) take it somewhere good & have a tune & a bit more boost put in. You'll have a good starting point there for not much money. Maybe +30-40kw with out getting really wild to start.

Please see my attached rant to the second part of your question

• Like 1

Turbo timers - Why do you think you need one of these? besides hacking up the wiring loom in your car, making it potentially easier to steal and letting it sit idling with zero air flow (allowing it to heat up) the only benefit is really to do with aggressive use of the car. Timers were invented in ye olden times when turbo technology was very primitive. Turbo's are now generally oil and water cooled, however once hot the turbo takes a little while (maybe a minute or so) to cool back to a reasonable temp after being thrashed (eg, track work, drags etc) after doing these things the idea is that you might shut the car down to allow it to cool. However there is a scorching hot turbo housing that now has very hot thin oil against the shaft seals. This oil used to leak in to the housings and do all sorts of havoc, could cause a fire, etc. So by inventing a timer, it allowed the driver to drive the car hard all the way home, park it, get out with the keys and allow the engine bay to 'cool' somewhat by leaving the engine continue to run. If you consider a running engine in summer while parked cooling, sure whatever works for you. But basically you can park it with lower risk of someone stealing your car.

So, what for all the E series i6 motors that are on the road. Quite literally there must be 1 million of them or close to. The persistent problem throughout the E series has ALWAYS been head gaskets, generally caused by the alloy heads cooling & heating differently to the cast iron blocks. So where am I going with this? Ever been cruising down the freeway in an old EF on a hot day & needed to pull over to make a phone call? Ever notice what happens to the temp gauge, goes sky high. Now grandpa with his fairlane never got a timer installed, does he need one? well given on such a day the engine on a freeway is at maybe 50% load and it needs to cool down a bit I'd say yes! But if you drive the car down residential streets in any kind of sane way to park it in your driveway, what temps are you generating that are so extreme they will need cooling. In saying all of this, the same people that will install a timer won't lift the bonnet to vent the hot air as quickly as possible after driving in any condition however they feel they want to have the ability to leave their car running with the doors locked in a public car park because? well they think it's 'good' for the engine. Vettel, Richardo, Alonso, etc etc drive the MOST high tech race cars the world has ever seen, yet they do not use 'proven' Japanese turbo timer technology. They come in off the track and shut it down, yeah people run from all directions with leaf vacs to cool it but even then its rare that you'll see a car that comes in straight from a run combust in to flames from not having a timer

So I propose that if a person is driving a car that hard that much and then shutting down the engine to walk away from it that they require it to idle and cool things, they are doing far more damage during this thrashing stage than they will ever be able to save with a timer.

Please don't let this rant be a negative to your question, there are no dumb questions here. The reason I answered the way I have is that I have this debate far to often with dickheads that simply can't understand these concepts and it's like talking to a bag of cement trying to tell them they are more often than not warming the engine of their car, not cooling it. My opinion - allowing your car to cool with a timer is irrelevant.

chris-rock-drops-mic-o.gif

Edited by FiftyOne
  • Like 3

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

Great rant there Fiftyone, just to add... These cars can't be locked while the turbo timer is on, so yep sort of defeats the purpose as you may as well just sit in it for a minute or so with it running before you get out and have to stand there waiting for it to turn off so you can immobilise it... I initially installed one without this knowledge, and being known to give it a hard time all the way home, it's piece of mind to have it idling, the thermo fans are on, water pump is cycling the water through the engine/turbo, oil pump is cycling the oil through the engine/turbo and all the temps are equalising for a couple of minutes whether it helps or not, comparing to a F1 is irrelevant IMO... You do warm your car up before driving don't you?

07 is a great model mate, as stated above, pick a power figure, budget and go from there, welcome =)

hi all thanks for the responses! someone had mentioned a timer to me and I didnt think they be much use these days! as for mods I didnt want to go all out maybe about 40-50kw extra, whats everyones thoughts about flash tune? worth the money and is it ok for stock car? im in victoria heard Herrod Motorsport are pretty good???

My opinion for what little it's worth, Herrod or Pitlane. Chuck in a set off 1000's plus a flash & you'll be golden for a start mate. Don't go getting crazy for a start, just work with that

cheers I think id defitently be happy with going with that, not looking to go crazy! thanks for the info its gave me good insight

• Like 1