Fg Handling Improvement

stew565

• Member For: 10y 8m 28d

How do I get these utes to handle!!

My old ba xr6 ute handles better than my new fg f6 fpv

Ive fitted whitline bars front and rear the previous owner fitted bilstein shocks front and rear and urethane bushes in the front which ive never been a big fan of , NSW roads arn't very forgiving . Ive had wheel alignments good and bad but still the thing wants to wander on rough roads!! Id like to change the caster settings but can,t fing adjustable arms. The ute doesn,t want to turn in corners well. Has any one been able to improve these ute's in the handling department....

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 3d

I'm with Ford Freak. Have a chat with Brett from Shockworks, I've heard great things about their coilover kit for the utes. The guys from WA suspensions reckon the ones they've fitted to FG utes make them feel like they're on rails.

I've got their coilovers on my FG sedan and they're amazing. Give the car a completely different feeling from stock.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 22d

I'd say he'd expect an FG FPV not to handle worse than his BA XR6 ute.

Am tipping your problem will be related to whatever the previous owner did.

How low and how firm did they go?

+1 for shockworks, but you may need someone to work out what's wrong with the current setup before trying to change the wrong items.

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 3d

Rab's on the money. There is such a thing as too hard when it comes to suspension, especially with these chassis.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 25d

I have just a basic set up.. Monroe Short shocks up front with SSL height kings..

Reset rear leafs 2.5" lower with new bushes and Monroe short shocks to suit.

Yeah it will never be a race car but it handles half decent now. Total outlay drive in drive out.. $870

$550 just to lower without shocks.

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 9d

What tyres are you running? Falcons really need a grippy tyre to work well expecially if you have made the front end really stiff with the aftermarket swaybar.

If you aren't due for new tyres, try going back to the orignal swaybar to allow some more movement in the front end. This will work better with average street tyres.

• Like 3

• Member For: 11y 3m 8d

^listen to this bloke.

+1 on going back to the stock front sway bar. Very simple to change. I would try this first before you go replacing expensive components.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 22d

Also worth mentioning which bilsteins, springs and rears you have too if you can work it out

Previous owner may have mismatched things, set it up for something totally different or just not to your liking.

Also tyres can make a big difference as ^^ mentioned - even going from 35's to 40 profile changed the turning characteristics on mine to a noticeable degree