Xr6 Turbo For P-Plater <Merged Topic>

jEtONiT

• Poison Fish. Poison Fish. TASTY FISH!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 10d
I believe that parents should take the responsibility to teach their kids how to drive before the kids get their p's..

It's incredibly naive to assume that you learn ALL about driving and how to react in certain circumstances in the 6 months you have of driving on your P Plates. Sure, you can indicate and use a clutch, but there's alot more than basic car control.

You don't learn how to go fast, that's easy, it's learning how to stop and how go round corners that takes years. Feeling a new vibration or recognising a new sound. Little things that can lead to an accident.

I've done well over 150,000km in 5 years and am still learning how to read situations on the road. Even the blokes on here, who have been driving for much longer again will testify how easily things can get very out of shape and all the gizmo's in the world can't help like experience can.

Lumpy :stirthepot:

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 11d
that's exactly the way I see it.. The tests should be made more difficult, that's what will distinguish the good drivers from the bad.

Guys I think the problem here isnt only p-platers with nice cars, but its the test you undergo to get your licence. How many sh!t drivers are there on the road and how many of them drive modified cars?

Some 18 year old girl in a Hyundai can cause the same amount of damage as an 18 year old boy in a wrx, as both cars can exceed the speed limit.

Jet, this is not entirley correct.

A WRX can reach 100km/h in 6sec, a Excel in about 16seconds. This is a MASSIVE difference when it comes to the damage a car can cause in a suburban street. If both cars took off a WOT from a set of lights and then 100m up the road a brick wall appeared and both car hit it, I am sure you will be putting the WRX driver in a body bag and the Excel driver in hospital.

A WRX can also make a hopeless drive corner much faster, but when it lets go only an very experienced driver can (might) regain control. Your arguments are all over every P plater thread and they are flawed.

YES driver education plays a big part, but powerful and cheap cars in the hands of P platers is a recepie for disaster. It is also a problem when these hipo turbo cars are maintained by people who think a new subwoofer should take priority over tyres with tread, or bigger brakes when they up the rwkw by 100.

While I sympthasise with your situation, you are trying convince a forum that is generally made up of over 25 males who have many years of driving.

In NSW they are going to make it even harder for the P platers, it is funny they ONLY ever do this after some hi publicity accidents involving P platers, then a couple are caught doing 180km/h in a 100 zone and then WHACK the laws are changed.

This is they way our governments work, they have to be seen doing something to show they care.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 18d
that's exactly the way I see it.. The tests should be made more difficult, that's what will distinguish the good drivers from the bad.

Guys I think the problem here isnt only p-platers with nice cars, but its the test you undergo to get your licence. How many sh!t drivers are there on the road and how many of them drive modified cars?

Some 18 year old girl in a Hyundai can cause the same amount of damage as an 18 year old boy in a wrx, as both cars can exceed the speed limit.

Jet, this is not entirley correct.

A WRX can reach 100km/h in 6sec, a Excel in about 16seconds. This is a MASSIVE difference when it comes to the damage a car can cause in a suburban street. If both cars took off a WOT from a set of lights and then 100m up the road a brick wall appeared and both car hit it, I am sure you will be putting the WRX driver in a body bag and the Excel driver in hospital.

A WRX can also make a hopeless drive corner much faster, but when it lets go only an very experienced driver can (might) regain control. Your arguments are all over every P plater thread and they are flawed.

YES driver education plays a big part, but powerful and cheap cars in the hands of P platers is a recepie for disaster. It is also a problem when these hipo turbo cars are maintained by people who think a new subwoofer should take priority over tyres with tread, or bigger brakes when they up the rwkw by 100.

While I sympthasise with your situation, you are trying convince a forum that is generally made up of over 25 males who have many years of driving.

In NSW they are going to make it even harder for the P platers, it is funny they ONLY ever do this after some hi publicity accidents involving P platers, then a couple are caught doing 180km/h in a 100 zone and then WHACK the laws are changed.

This is they way our governments work, they have to be seen doing something to show they care.

I understand the a wrx can get to 100kmh quicker than an excel, but acceleration isnt the killer, speed is. Obviously if both cars took off from WOT the wrx will gain more speed, but accidents dont always occur after a car has just been under WOT for 5-10 seconds. If the government decided to plan a harsher crack down on hoons and not just any modified car drivers, the road deaths should fall.

As you guys on this forum know, not all guys who hoon drive nice cars. Even on the news, most of the accidents occur in tightass commodores etc. When do you hear about a turbo, supercharged, nos injected, ethanol fueled car being in an accident? Rarely.

• Donating Members
All P platers should stick to Barinas and Astras... a turbo and a v8 should not even be on the same page with a P plater...

Well my dad's 1995 TURBO Diesel Nissan Patrol with a whole 85kw is banned under the new law. So is a friggin volvo, the safest cars in the world.. How is that good?

can I ask, what car did you drive on your p's?

and what car did u want to drive on your p's?

Edited by jEtONiT

• Donating Members
but acceleration isnt the killer, speed is.

On the contrary, it is the sudden stop that gets ya.

A wrx has better brakes than an excel though, so it should be able to slow down abit quicker before that sudden stop. Most mild performance cars have better brakes and safety features than a POS 20,000 brand new hairdressers car.

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 11d

can I ask, what car did you drive on your p's? Datsun 180B :wacko:

and what car did u want to drive on your p's? a F1 car, but that is beside the point

When I had my P's (1987), nearly all my friend drove Lasers, Hilman Hunters and other 4 cyl cars. This was a normal P plater car. Now adays it seems you need a Grey import Turbo. There are also more cars and more distractions on the road. Be it in the car like 10,000w mobile entertainment systems, mobile phones, advertising or whatever.

Also remember one thing. The media are not interested in some P plater that kills themselves in a old comodore, only a kid that does it in a "skyline" or other high profile car. The government sees this and thinks that everyone is the same and are seen to react. It is a fact of life.

Deal with the fact you will not be able to own a Turbo/v8 for 3 years of your 90 year life, where if you could it might be much shorter if you could own a WRX.

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 11d

Ineffective government band aid to cover up the fact there not willing to spend some of the billiions there currently reaping off us plebs to create a decent training programme.

What about a Toyota Landcruiser with a big ass bullbar hanging off the front....

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 5m 5d

I'm disappointed Vic has gone down the same path as NSW in regards to banning all turbos and V8's. I think the power to weigh ratio law that they currently use (which already excluded P platers driving a XR6T) is alot fairer than a blanket ban of certain engine types.

As much as I would have hatted it when I was on my P's I honestly think that a passenger restriction will save lives. How many times have you been egged on by your mates and done something stupid? We've all been there, yes it's not a perfect solution and yes it would be inconvenient but what price do you put on a life?