Peppy's Build Thread

• Member For: 12y 2m 10d

Yep, getting IAT's below ambient isn't technically possible, it's a physics impossibility unless your using some form of additional modifier (with water or methanol). My Nizzy cooler regularly gets around 5 deg of Delta temp. I'd consider this to be bloddy efficient!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 20d

Hi Joe,

Do you know the before intercooler and after intercooler temps?

That would tell you how well the current cooler is working.

However, you would also need to know what amount of cooling is possible from potential "upgrade" coolers - preferably with your airflow and "out of the turbo" temps.

Have you considered anything like the CO2 intercooler sprays to use with the current cooler?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 16d

Sorry I didn't get any notifications that people had commented..

But no I don't have any before intercooler temps, I might rig something up this weekend as I'm interested to know also.. But at the end of the day I knew that at this level the pw2 is out of its league and I wanted to upgrade earlier but didn't have the cash..

As most would know, one thing I focused on was airflow and its efficiency through this build, any cooler is essentially an airflow "restriction" but that's obviously outweighed by its charge air cooling abilities.. I diddle research into the math behind intercoolers and done some pretty simple equations to work out internal flow are required for the cfm my turbo is producing, which goes into working out the mathematic correct dimensions of the cooler.. Which showed my cooler to be too small anyway.. Yes their are things that will assist in its cooling abilities like water/meth C02 or nitrous, but if it's internal flow area is too small your just masking an issue.. I looked at all available coolers and volume wise the bigger of everyone's coolers were all similar and comparable, but I purchased a Jonny tig so I'll have some data and updates once I receive that

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 16d

Hey guys, it's been a while but that's because poor pep has just been sitting in the driveway, I've been flat out working on other people's cars
9c3ce54202402537b7b79600e3c112f8.jpg
It's not all that bad as I get to spend other people's money haha, I've been working on all sorts of projects from full engine builds, full ZF builds (standard to big boy), fuel system mods and upgrades and a hell of a lot of tuning, hopefully have some big hitters at the track shortly

I did end up installing the Johnny Tig cooler on and it made 475-482kw with consistent back to back dyno pulls for over an hour, averaging 45* temps... compared to the previous 450ish with the only change being the cooler... same dyno, same load, same tyres, and virtually the same tune
bc6720e876b22657cc625ae78fa07b67.jpg Size comparison, JT is taller and thicker, I asked for the same width so I didn't have to move or modify the A/C lines

17ddab5215075df2abd5912933377698.jpg PW2

6b3b67e905b21b9991633366fc8ae41f.jpg JT

you can see the difference in density of the core, obviously less density allows a higher volume of air to pass, but needs a larger charge air area to cool, and a higher density core like the PW will cool more charge air but will generally limit the volume of air that passes through it. So your cooler needs to be suited to your setup
93a92b5cff5a9c230ad69706b703ac01.jpg easy figment, just had to grind the rear lip off the crush bar, as with any other 100mm cooler, and drilled and tapped the bottom two holes rather then using a nut and bolt

The weighed PW2 11.6Kg
And JT 9.1kg

Would people be interested in me making a tuning thread similar to Jets, just to show what I've been working on?

• Like 11

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Hey Joe , looking good and hopefully it has what you need to sneak into that 9.90 zone 

and if that's what it took ( a cooler swop ) you gotta be happy with the change :) 

• Like 1