Reliabilty Of The Fg Turbo? And Harsh Declaration

kaza

• Member For: 9y 8m 28d

Hi All

I am looking at getting possibly an XR6 Turbo....

I have driven FG XR6's before but recently took 2 XR6 Turbo's for a run...

Was quite impressed with the performance.......

I have never owned a vehicle equiped with a Turbo and am just wondering whether there any issues with the Turbo's in terms of reliability.

I'm looking at getting one with about 60-80k on the clock...

Are there any issues in general with the XR6 Turbo models, e.g. possibly drivetrain issues...

How long do the Turbo's normally run for, before they need to be repaired/rebuilt...????

I took 2 XR6 Turbo for a test drive recently, they were both ex-cop cars... The acceleration was good, but the decleration seem to be very harsh,

and one had a bit of a knock with deceleration...I assume there could be some play in the drive train...

e.g When I acelerated hard the pickup was great, but as soon asI backed of the accelerator, the decelaration was quite harsh...as if it was caught in a

low gear with high revs, so when I backed of the accelerator, the deceleration was quick/very harsh...is this normal on the xr6 turbo....

I have driven standard xr6's before and never experienced this....

Is it normal that deceleration to be quite harsh on the Turbo's, or is it perhaps something to do with hows the cop cars are tuned, as the XR6 turbo's I drove

were both ex-cop cars....

Thanks

John :-)

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 16d

Welcome mate

The ZF transmission will hold in gear if you give it a quick kick and this is normal as it has been programmed into it. IMHO it's an excellent feature that I am sure you will come to appriciate if you decide to purchase one of these cars.

The knock on decel may have been the diff bush - - a part that can last for ages or fail within ? kms. Ensure that, if getting an inspection done prior to purchase, that it is done by someone that knows these cars and knows what to look for.

The Turbo itself will last as long as you look after the car...............proper maintenance of everything under the bonnet is the key here.

I have made it a habit to give the car a good check over once a week to ensure that there is no problems with the intake pipework, hoses, fluids etc. and if a problem does surface, get it sorted asap coz a little problem now may turn into something huge if left uncheck - just like all cars.

Hope this helps

• Member For: 9y 11m 20d

Do your homework and read some threads on this forum such as "diff bushes" , "oil feed line for the turbo" and "ZF servicing" to start with.

The more you do research on this forum the better informed you'll be.

There's a wealth of info here, so spend a few hours looking thru these threads.

These cars are capable of pretty high mileages if properly serviced.

Ex- cop cars with those kms should be pretty good , I just bought mine with 145000kms on it and it drives like new.

It's not a Ex-cop but had a known history.

And do your self a favour

DONT ASK ABOUT COP MODS !!!

Good luck their great cars.

• Member For: 9y 8m 28d

Thankyou all for your replies...much appreciated.....

I wiill further into issues such as ...."diff bushes" , "oil feed line for the turbo" and "ZF servicing".... as mentioned

in a previous reply..

Also as for the comment regarding the ZF trans....

"The ZF transmission will hold in gear if you give it a quick kick and this is normal as it has been programmed into it. IMHO it's an excellent feature",

I wasn't sure if this was normal for the trans to hold gear for so long, but I guess I only drove it for a short run (test drove it at a dealership)

and under reasonably hard acceleration. I asume under normal acceleration the gear would shift with a Normal rev range.....

But I was quite impressed with the xr6 turbo...goes well...

Thanks again for everyones replies

Take care

John

Also