Raspberry Pi - Who Is Using One?

xr6tnv

• PC LOAD LETTER
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 5m 11d

I've been looking around at these Raspberry Pi's for awhile and trying to convince myself of if I bought one what I'd actually use it for... There are plenty of projects out there, I'm just wondering if in the long run I'd use it or if it would collect dust.

Anyone else got one of these mini computers and what do you use it for??

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Raspberry_Pi_boxed_zps99b7ba03.jpg

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Wonderful piece of tech - cheap and does so much.

Not for me though as anything other than an interest/plaything.

Everything I'd possibly use one for is already achieved a lot easier using my current tech, which can do a hell of a lot more at the same time.

A few years ago (or a bit longer) I could have seen myself using one hooked to the TV, one in the car as a media server, one at home as a torrent box/server, but with consoles hooked to the telly, iPod integration in the car and storage as cheap as it is and direct streaming so easy I'd have to go out of my way to actually use one.

One of the Android Sticks would more likely be something I'd keep in my toolkit as an emergency, but it's probably be in my laptop/tablet bag that I keep it - and I'd probably just pull out the lappy or tablet instead of firing it up.

• PC LOAD LETTER
  • Donating Members

Wonderful piece of tech - cheap and does so much.

Not for me though as anything other than an interest/plaything.

Everything I'd possibly use one for is already achieved a lot easier using my current tech, which can do a hell of a lot more at the same time.

A few years ago (or a bit longer) I could have seen myself using one hooked to the TV, one in the car as a media server, one at home as a torrent box/server, but with consoles hooked to the telly, iPod integration in the car and storage as cheap as it is and direct streaming so easy I'd have to go out of my way to actually use one.

One of the Android Sticks would more likely be something I'd keep in my toolkit as an emergency, but it's probably be in my laptop/tablet bag that I keep it - and I'd probably just pull out the lappy or tablet instead of firing it up.

That's what I thought, it seems that I can do all this on my laptop and desktop at the moment. I guess the only thing I would use it for is trying online projects that people have done in the past and even then the coding ones can be done in a dev space.

• PC LOAD LETTER
  • Donating Members

I run one on all of my tvs at home as a media centre running xbmc and they all play anything thrown at it from my server on the network.

great little unit! :)

They're a good bit of kit.

I use mine with XMBC. Can't fault it as a media centre.

A mate a work hooked his up to the big screen TV in the office and ran XMBC, seemed to work quite nicely but rarely used :(

I've already got an Apple TV connected to one TV at home and that works ok... bit too locked down with no jailbreak though.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 1m 26d

this is why I now run rpi's with xbmc.

I used to run atv2's (jailbroken with xbmc) but due to only 720p output, I changed to rpi.

you can also buy a flirc ir receiver for the rpi and train it to use your tv remote to control the rpi. fantastic little gadget! :)

• PC LOAD LETTER
  • Donating Members

Yeah the rpi has much more flexibility when it comes to media, makes me think that once the lounge room is setup I should hook one up to the tv...