Understeer Vs Oversteer Tradeoffs

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 3d

Hi all,

Currently running SL fronts and SSL HD rears with monroe gt shocks and every bush replaced with superpro. 27 and 22 mm sway bars and p@'s rear sway bar links.

17x8 +18 fronts with 245/45 invo's

17x9 +25 rears with 275/40 nt05

The boat corners a lot better than stock, happy times. Mid and higher speed cornering is pretty well balanced, but it understeers like a pig on low speed switchbacks.

Would going to 245/45 all round decrease the push from the rear when I apply throttlle in low speed corners? I remember it used to power oversteer fairly easy with 235/45 all round in mid speed sweepers - I can live with that.

suggestions?

oh and it rains constantly up here so nt01 all round isn't an option . . . yet

• Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Mine under steered like a mofo with stock wheels but I went to 9" lensos all round with 265 tyres front and back and it is much much better.. Still understeers but at higher speed

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 4d

Considering your current set up, I would do the following to reduce your understeer:

- Put front tyre pressures up 2 psi, back rears off 2psi.

- I'd also say back off your front dampening but doesn't look like you have much adjustment. If your rear sway bar is adjustable, then firm it up (make heavier)

- More negative front camber and front toe out. I recommend a camber kit or just get a bolt hole drilled into the upper arm frame/brackets.

- The main problem is your mismatch between front and rear tyres. You are aware of this. However, there are tyres out there that are better than Invo's. :)

For a street tyre that you want decent wet performance too, look at Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2's. To reduce the dry understeer you are talking about, it might make sense to try something like a NT05, Hankook RS3, etc up front and take it easier in the wet. It is also possible to get the best of both worlds. Get an R888 and put extra grooves in for wet performance which may solve your problems too.

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 3d

Thanks man

forgot to mention 2 degrees of camber up front and 40-42 psi in the tyres

pretty sure the nt05 don't come in a 245/45/17, but I can run nt01 all round in current sizes, still would have the same problem I think. Might try 245/45 all round and see how that goes, sway bar isn't adjustable

• Member For: 17y 10m 2d

does it understeer going into the corner, mid corner or on corner exit?

but agree that the front needs to be softer or the rear made to be harder but will vary according to which part of the corner is your problem.

Driving style can also influence understeer

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 4d

In that front tyre size look at:

Yoko advan ad08r

Toyo R1R

Dunlop Direzza ZII

Tirerack sells them cheaply.

This will solve your understeer problems and still maintain some wet weather functionality.

• Like 1