Xr6t Ute And Towing?

Guest thebow

Guest thebow
  • Guests

Hi,

I currently own a AUIIXR8 and do a fair bit of towing with it. I normally tow a 1300kg sleekline skisportz inboard but plan to upgrade to someting heavier in the next few years such as a malibu, tige or lewis eclipse.

These boats are all farily heavy in the 2000kg+ range and I want to know if any of the forum memebers tow boats like these with a XR6T ute or sedan.

I am currently tossing up between the XR8 ute but I was impressed with the drive on the XR6T's

Can the XR6T handle this kind of load on the trailer hitch and tow it nicely or should I go the 8 or something larger?

• Formerly Turbo6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 12d

I think you will find it will pull it easily (the turbo). I load my ute up with bikes and gear and pull an 8x5 box trailer full of stuff and no dramas - although your load will definitely be heavier.

That is why trucks have turbos, they perform better under load.

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 25d

The limit for the XR6T is 1600kg for an auto transmission, 1200kg for a manual I think?

For towing 2000+kg's buy the XR8 auto with heavy duty towpack. :tosser:

• Member For: 20y 9m 9d

I think the recommended max tow weight from ford for an auto xr6t is only 1600kg, with a normal 6 or xr8 it can be up to 2400kg with a Heavy Duty Tow Kit.

That aside, I have towed around 1900kg with my ute with no problems at all.

• Team Bute
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 9m 5d

Irrespective of whether the XR6T can pull the > 1600kg load (auto) or not ( and I'm sure it can), the issue will be ....

In the event of an accident, can you successfully make an insurance claim if you have exceeded the max rating of the load ?

keep this in mind thebow. Ask the question to whoever installs the towbar.

• Member For: 20y 10m 28d

If you are going to tow make sure you get the auto, I tow my inboard around and my ute is manual. I live on a fairly steep hill and to get moving I have to give it about 2500 revs and dump the clutch which is not the best.

I love manual cars but sometimes I wish I got the auto

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 20d

My dyno mate owns a auto XR6T, and he tows his boat (competition 8ltr), he has put airbags in the rear suspension to assist with the load, and he reckons its the best car he has EVER used for towing. He uses the H/D towbar with the square box hitch.

He said some people get a tad annoyed when he drags them off at the lights towing his boat! :blink:

• Member For: 20y 9m 9d

I am used to a turbo diesal, so the only thing that piss me off is that when towing the fuel consumption doubles or triples. I am not sure if this apply to xr8.

The speed sure makes up the difference.

Guest thebow
  • Guests

Hi,

Cool I think the insurance thing is the killer though. I am dead sure an auto XR6T woiuld certainly do a good job but the limited capacity makes it a non-starter as far as I am concerned.

The XR8 would just scrape in a tige 20V so that's what I will be looking at..pity the F-series is so damn expensive.