Motorbike Tyre Repair

jacobmitchell92

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Yeah - should be fine as long as it's not near the sidewall.

Will end up stronger at the repair than it was before.

Any tyre shop should be able to repair it.

edit: if need be you can get a plug kit from any bike shop that will let you get it to a workshop/home if stuck.

Edited by raband

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Proper plug and whatever they do to galvanise it at a shop is perfectly fine - have had to have it done more often that I would wish on anyone.

The temp plug packs you can do yourself are definitely only a temporary fix.

If tyre's close to changeover time I'd just get a new tyre, but if I had to replace every $300+ tyre every time I'd gotten a simple puncture then I'd be spewing.

I put 100k kms on my old Blackbird - probably about 30k kms of that was with tyres with plugs in them all up - something about the setup I had seemed to make the front wheel flick screws, nails, stones up in exactly the correct position for the rear tyre to eat them :(

Last couple of bikes I've had zero punctures (touch wood)

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 2m 3d

Yeah you can just plug them the same way you do a car.

It just depends on what you use your bike for, I could never ride the bike hard with confidence on my favourite piece of road knowing my tyre is plugged . But if its just cruising aroud or for commuting it should be fine

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 18d

that's the worst part! It has only done around 500km!

I use it to commute but it also cops a bit of a hard ride (that's what its built for!)

Ill call the bike shop tomorrow and see what they say, its still holding air so getting to the shop is no problem

Only 500km , that sucks. Yeah I guess just run it by the shop and see what they say.

I was at the track once and just had a new slick put on the rear and didn't leave it on the warmers long enough and destroyed the Tyre in about six laps . Not really relevant but that's my bad Tyre story lol.

Yeah same I've never heard of anyone that's had issues, I've just always been fussy with Tyres on a bike. Im not sure what effect it would have on the tyre when your doing 250+kmh and if it would increase the chance of it failing ,but that's illegal so you shouldn't have to worry about that lol.

• Like 1